Clownfish killing hermits and snails?

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually see the opposite question where the hermits and snails are eating fish, but in my case I've noticed that I have awful success rates with keeping hermits and snails in my tanks, and recently noticed snails and hermits being pecked at by my clownfish pair. For example, I bought 5 scarlet hermit crabs about 1-2 years ago but only have one that survived.

More context: Tank size is 15 gal, tank has been running steadily for around 5 years, clownfish pair (lay eggs regularly) that get super territorial during spawning period. Water params seem good, I have relatively easier to keep corals but they're all happy (acans, birdsnest, monticaps, zoas, etc.). I haven't actually seen the clownfish outright kill a snail or hermit but if they happen to walk near the clownfish eggs they get attacked and in some cases the shell openings will get exposed. Is it possible that the clownfish are responsible for the hermit/snail deaths in my tank? If not, any other reasons they would be dying in a well established tank?

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 crabs in a small tank like 15 gallons might be pushing it. Not for the space concerns but because theres not enough food.
Fair point I didn't consider, thanks. There was quite a lot of GHA and cyano at the time so I thought they would have plenty of food for a while. I did supplement with zoo-med crab sticks as well and they went for those pretty quick lol. All except one died before significant damage was done to the algae so not sure if it was a lack of food issue.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair point I didn't consider, thanks. There was quite a lot of GHA and cyano at the time so I thought they would have plenty of food for a while. I did supplement with zoo-med crab sticks as well and they went for those pretty quick lol. All except one died before significant damage was done to the algae so not sure if it was a lack of food issue.
If you are adding crab sticks, I think they are ok, food wise. But still pushing it. I would go with 1-2 crab, max 3 in a 15 gal.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lack of sufficient food is a likely possibly but as you said yourself, breeding clowns are very territorial especially in a small tank. I'd guess it's a combination of both. Honestly, you're probably better off not keeping hermits in a small tank with spawning clowns with the opportunistic feeding habits of the hermits. Even though the clowns will vigorously defend during the day at night it's a possible crap shoot.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back