Clownfish laid eggs.. now what?

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns laid eggs. They were hosting a torch in that spot but I sold the torch today at a local frag swap and didn’t notice the eggs until I got home. Is there anything I can do or can someone point me in the direction to help them out? I can easily scrape the coraline chunk they are on and put them somewhere else. Thanks!

47CD1651-4A5B-41B4-A03A-204F66046EEF.jpeg

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait until the eggs have silver eyes, then you can remove from the tank. Ideally though you wanted them to lay these on a tile or something easily removable. It's possible the clownfish will eat the eggs before they get to this hatching stage though.

Once you remove them from the tank without exposing them to air, you can feed them rotifers when they hatch. It will be difficult though to 'scrape' these eggs from the glass I haven't tried it in this scenario.

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait until the eggs have silver eyes, then you can remove from the tank. Ideally though you wanted them to lay these on a tile or something easily removable. It's possible the clownfish will eat the eggs before they get to this hatching stage though.

Once you remove them from the tank without exposing them to air, you can feed them rotifers when they hatch. It will be difficult though to 'scrape' these eggs from the glass I haven't tried it in this scenario.

the way my coraline is, it comes off very easy so I think I could get that piece off.When it’s time to move them (given they aren’t eaten) do the adult clowns have to go with them? Also what’s the time frame like? I imagine these eggs were laid within the last few days.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally the parents go with. They make sure fresh water is moved over the eggs regularly keeping them free from pests etc. Once they are ready to hatch then it’s time to segregate. Don’t mean to be ’that guy’ but you mean the torch was hosting the clowns...;)

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the way my coraline is, it comes off very easy so I think I could get that piece off.When it’s time to move them (given they aren’t eaten) do the adult clowns have to go with them? Also what’s the time frame like? I imagine these eggs were laid within the last few days.
I think it's around 7-10 days but can sometimes take 14ish. You will see the eggs start to develop. Eventually little black/silver eyes will be on the tops of them. The clownfish will need to tend to the eggs for the next 4-10 days until they reach this stage. You can tell by shining a flashlight over the eggs at night, they will have a silver shine to them when they are ready to pull. Odds are they will keep laying eggs for the next few months atleast, so you will have more opportunities to get it right.

jimc40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had something lay eggs on my glass today also not sure what but I assume my clowns as that’s the only pair of fish I have or maybe a snail

F267C66A-A9D6-41ED-9C97-9FD01C6BC9ED.jpeg

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks everyone! I’m going to continue to do some research and see if I can come up with a plan for these guys!

Shixpoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? Mine just laid eggs as well . I’m planning on removing them after they hatch, because the eggs are attacked to a big rock. Does anyone know how I can remove them after hatch?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a guide to breeding clownfish that you may find helpful:

Good luck!

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a guide to breeding clownfish that you may find helpful:

Good luck!
Thank you! Unfortunately I got caught up in the excitement and forgot I’m going out of town this weekend for 7 days so I won’t be able to tend to this batch. Hopefully on the next go! I’m also going to place some tiles in that area so hopefully they lay on one of those!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they laid eggs once then they will likely continue to lay eggs. Keep the water quality high and the clowns well fed to help them along. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In a community setting. . . chances for survival minimized but there will be a pattern (about every 2 weeks). Place a clay pot in same area after eggs have vanished if they do. If clowns utilize that pot, have another tank ready to transfer that pot to a nursery tank which will have water movement to keep fungus off eggs, heater and tank water from display. I have had many clutches but have NO desire to raise them

eggs3.jpg
eggs3.jpg
eggs6.jpg
eggs9.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back