Clownfish left gill flap torn or “flopping”

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a bonded pair from Divers Den and put them in about a week ago along with 3 pajama cardinals, orchid dottyback and a neon blue goby (7 total). Nothing else in the tank yet as this is a new build. This morning we noticed the left gill of the smaller clown (male?) was sort of hanging and could see the pink behind the gill. All the fish are acting fine and eating breathing swimming well. From the front the gill is noticeably protruded. Can’t tell if this is an injury or an infection. Attaching a video.
I have Metroplex and Paraguard on hand. I will do a 10-15% water change today as well.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.MOV
    28.5 MB
OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So temperature stable at 78 but pajama cardinal’s color still faded in the morning but comes back slightly by late morning. I’ve been feeding the tank frozen mysis soaked in Selcon which all the other fish go nuts for except this one. It mostly ignores it. It does seem to like the pellets and will go after them a bit more but doesn’t keep up with other fish. Should I consider putting it in quarantine for a while? Could it be something else? Any thoughts #jayhemdal? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So temperature stable at 78 but pajama cardinal’s color still faded in the morning but comes back slightly by late morning. I’ve been feeding the tank frozen mysis soaked in Selcon which all the other fish go nuts for except this one. It mostly ignores it. It does seem to like the pellets and will go after them a bit more but doesn’t keep up with other fish. Should I consider putting it in quarantine for a while? Could it be something else? Any thoughts #jayhemdal? Thanks!

Well, the trouble is, there is no symptoms here that lead us to any specific treatment. Also, if it has something contagious, all of the other fish have been exposed, so moving it out now won't protect them.

I would just watch for aggression from the other two cardinals and feed it often with pellets. You could also try dicing the mysids up, they may be too large for it.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the trouble is, there is no symptoms here that lead us to any specific treatment. Also, if it has something contagious, all of the other fish have been exposed, so moving it out now won't protect them.

I would just watch for aggression from the other two cardinals and feed it often with pellets. You could also try dicing the mysids up, they may be too large for it.

Jay
Thanks. I meant move it to get it eating without competition. It may get one or two pellets but haven’t observed that in last 2 days. I fed pellets relatively heavily this morning where it looked interested but just moving too slowly.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I meant move it to get it eating without competition. It may get one or two pellets but haven’t observed that in last 2 days. I fed pellets relatively heavily this morning where it looked interested but just moving too slowly.
Oh, then yes, that makes sense...as long as the tank you are moving it to is stable and doesn't have ammonia issues, etc.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tradevg

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, then yes, that makes sense...as long as the tank you are moving it to is stable and doesn't have ammonia issues, etc.

Jay
It’s a new quarantine tank I was preparing to receive inverts.. been fish less cycling for 2 weeks with ammonia. Should be ready in a couple days then will consider moving.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back