Clownfish not eating, HELP

dognfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost two weeks ago I lost one of my clownfish that I've had for over a year. The partner has not wanted to eat since then. She's kept her weight up and is still pretty active. Gets excited during feedings but won't eat. This morning I noticed her a bit skinny.
We added another clownfish over the weekend to see if she was depressed but still nothing.
Anyone have any suggestions, this clown helped cycle the tank originally and everyone else is doing fine.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that it's depressed to the point of not eating. IMO, it's more likely that it contracted some kind of parasite or infection, and adding fish to the tank when one of the inhabitants is unhealthy is a bad idea. Not only could the new fish get sick, it will stress the existing fish which already has a weakened immune system.

What was the condition of the other clownfish when it died a couple weeks ago? Did it show signs of stress, fin damage, thinness? If it didn't simply jump out of the tank, it may have been diseased, which could also be the case with your remaining fish. Look closely for physical damage or odd behavior such as rubbing its body against rocks.

Some food products have a bit of garlic in them to stimulate appetite. Off the top of my head, I think Marineland Spectrum pellets have it. Might give that a try if you cant find the stuff that Austin recommended.

OP
OP
D

dognfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I use garlic with every feeding. The first fish just stopped eating one day and started hanging around underneath the anemone then dissapeared a couple days later.
Didn't see any distress or scratching on either fish.
I now have the second clown in qt. What next?

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there anything introduced to the tank or changed with your setup/maintenance within 1 month of the first clown dying off? Changes include anything from food, rock, coral, or inverts.

NeosNano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Rod's original blend. I've heard great things about that stuff.

Steve Hwang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish are very picky. They spit out food if its not perfect. Even Rods, mine sometimes won't accept. Feed small things so they can swallow in a quick small bite. They hate to chew it seems. Oh and if you have a pair, they fight for food a bit so they eat bigger chunks. Singles get lazy and just spit out bad food.

OP
OP
D

dognfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have added some corals in that time frame. brain and donut, acan. Maybe couple of fish too.
Strange thing is except for not eating they looked and acted perfectly normal

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back