Clownfish odd behavior

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to explain this best way possible, fairly certain there is no sign of disease or anything else. They swim fine, eat as normal but this behavior just started and a little odd. Female will "perch" lay against or on the rock pictured.

Question is....Normal clownfish behavior or breeding habit? Just recently started. These have been a pair for about 3 1/2 years. All other signs are normal, no real concern just a little odd.
1000001468.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal behavior for fish that want a host and don't have one. As @tzabor10 mentioned; Anemones will make them happy.

But BEFORE you do that, tell us how old the tank is along with the kind of lighting you have and your water chemistry numbers. Also, post a full tank shot.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal behavior for fish that want a host and don't have one. As @tzabor10 mentioned; Anemones will make them happy.

But BEFORE you do that, tell us how old the tank is along with the kind of lighting you have and your water chemistry numbers. Also, post a full tank shot.
What @Dom said. And peppermint anemones are usually inexpensive compared to others, just not as flashy. If I had to do it all over, clownfish would not be in my tank.

OP
OP
SaltyЯeeferNC

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank itself is a little of over 3 years old. Being a fowlr tank don't chase numbers parameters I get track of is salinity, Ph, tempature and nitrates. Yeah let me get back to the house and I can certainly supply a picture.

Lighting is just some cheap corallife light but getting ready to setup a t5 fixture that I purchased few months ago.

OP
OP
SaltyЯeeferNC

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @Dom said. And peppermint anemones are usually inexpensive compared to others, just not as flashy. If I had to do it all over, clownfish would not be in my tank.
Interesting! Out of curiosity why? As someone who didn't have a aquarium background coming into the hobby clownfish was the go-to beginner fish based off everything I read. So naturally I gravitated to them.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually, I would have just ONE with an Anemone. When you have more than one in a tank, I find they can get obnoxious to tank mates.

I have a pair that are so obnoxious, I had to set them up in their own tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank itself is a little of over 3 years old. Being a fowlr tank don't chase numbers parameters I get track of is salinity, Ph, tempature and nitrates. Yeah let me get back to the house and I can certainly supply a picture.

Lighting is just some cheap corallife light but getting ready to setup a t5 fixture that I purchased few months ago.

Definitely sounds like you have done your homework. And I agree with your view on FOWLR tank numbers.

Full tank shots provide a lot of information, so, at your convenience...

I like T5s. If the light you have isn't new, you may want to consider getting new T5 bulbs for the fixture.

OP
OP
SaltyЯeeferNC

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I would have just ONE with an Anemone. When you have more than one in a tank, I find they can get obnoxious to tank mates.

I have a pair that are so obnoxious, I had to set them up in their own tank.
This! They do get a little obnoxious especially while I'm trying to clean the tank.

As far as the T5 fixture yes it's older (2 bulb) not sure of the manufacturing date but it's also a coralife t5 fixture. Picked it up cheap on Facebook marketplace. Still works great just need to purchase bulbs meant to grow coral. End goal is to transition into a softie tank and maybe further down the road small mixed reef. Wallet allowed of course. Once I finish the "honeydo" list down in the basement plans for a much larger system at some point.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting! Out of curiosity why? As someone who didn't have an aquarium background coming into the hobby clownfish was the go-to beginner fish based off everything I read. So naturally I gravitated to them.
Clownfish are mean. My current one bit me for the first 5 years. Not to mention the fighting with tank mates. But it’s been 7 years.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dom Here's a few shots of the tank. 30 gallon. Do have some hair algea i'm dealing with at the moment.
1000001476.jpg
1000001475.jpg

This appears to be a fairly new tank. Based on the pictures, you seem to be on track. GHA is a common issue in newer tanks.

You sometimes hear people talk about the "ugly stage" which comes around early in the life of a reef tank. I believe you are at the beginning of this stage.

I wouldn't add an Anemone to this tank yet.

OP
OP
SaltyЯeeferNC

SaltyЯeeferNC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This appears to be a fairly new tank. Based on the pictures, you seem to be on track. GHA is a common issue in newer tanks.

You sometimes hear people talk about the "ugly stage" which comes around early in the life of a reef tank. I believe you are at the beginning of this stage.

I wouldn't add an Anemone to this tank yet.
It's little over 3 years old just added few more chunks of dry rock to the system few weeks ago.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's little over 3 years old just added few more chunks of dry rock to the system few weeks ago.

Your sand looks very white. You must spend a good amount of time on husbandry! But you seem to be on the right path for sure.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back