clownfish pairing

CableGuy86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few questions but 1st a quick rundown. I have had a Ocellaris clownfish for about a year in my biocube and now I have a 40gl breeder setup that's ready to go. Also, this clown and one more will be my 1st addition to this tank. Now for the questions..........

1.The clown that I have now is it female, male, or still undecided? Lol. It has been by itself from lfs and is rather small.

2. I will be adding this 1 and 1 more at the same time to the new tank. That being said, do I buy a smaller or larger clown tank mate?

3. I do want the two 2 pair so is it ok to get a hybrid, Blk, snow, or some other kind of ocellaris and still have them eventually mate? Or just stay the same?

4. Lastly, I liked the yellow clown but I was reading and it stated its just undernourished. Is that true?

Appreciate all the help!!! Thanks.

OP
OP
CableGuy86

CableGuy86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be a while but what colorful anemone should I be considering for hosting? Thinking bubble? I want it to stay smaller (40gl tank) easy care & peaceful 2 mild temp.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always buy the smallest clown in a group when adding one to an existing clown. Yours is probably a female and you don't want to risk adding another female in with her. It's perfectly fine to get a different type of clown, such as a snowflake or black, but stay away from the maroons and tomatoes and such. The first ones could pair up and mate for you creating interesting markings on the babies.
I'll let ya know right now that BTA's get pretty big. I don't know a lot about the other nems so i'll leave that to somebody else. Good luck!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always buy the smallest clown in a group when adding one to an existing clown. Yours is probably a female and you don't want to risk adding another female in with her. It's perfectly fine to get a different type of clown, such as a snowflake or black, but stay away from the maroons and tomatoes and such. The first ones could pair up and mate for you creating interesting markings on the babies.
I'll let ya know right now that BTA's get pretty big. I don't know a lot about the other nems so i'll leave that to somebody else. Good luck!

^
This is all good sound advice.

A yellow clown could be a Clarkii. Any other clown type can display lack of coloration secondary to nutritional deficiency.

For your new clown I would avoid any clown type that is not an Ocellaris or Percula.

A lone clown is typically a female. A smaller clown is indicated.

acolotto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^+11111111111111
Very important you get the same species of clown. DOES NOT have to be same coloration but must be same species. Example normal perculca with a black and white percula would be ok. But a percula with a clarkii would not work.

OP
OP
CableGuy86

CableGuy86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank yall this is reassuring. So color doesn't matter as long as it's Ocellaris or percula. Thank yall for the advice.

So a lonely clown normally turn female. Interesting.

Both will be going into the new tank at the same time unless it's better to do one than the other?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back