clownfish questions.

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a pair of "McCullochi Clownfish", and from what ive been told theyre quite rare to come by in the hobby, i think they may be clarkiis but ill take a photo and yall can decide. regardless i cant find to much info on these guys when it comes to getting them to host, or even general info for that matter. any sort would be appreciated, specifically hosting tho. i have a nice BTA and they dont really go near em.

20240115_175431.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is there any way to entice hosting? or what can i do there
Be careful what you wish for. Hosting causes splits. Not necessarily bad, but you'll find yourself with nems to be removed.

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not opposed to that as long as they actually host. there isnt a whole lotta niche room and they needa take up the nems. they farm raised not wild so idk how i can coerce them in there.

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any way to entice hosting? or what can i do there
How long have the clowns been in the tank? Sometimes it just takes time. Once they see you feeding the anemone it can strike an interest. Took my maroons about 3 months. Like someone said above they can be in there for years and never have an anemone host them

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not opposed to that as long as they actually host. there isnt a whole lotta niche room and they needa take up the nems. they farm raised not wild so idk how i can coerce them in there.
You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make them drink...

OP
OP
F

fishnplants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been less than a week, i was thinkin the same thing. feeding the nem and maybe they kinda see that and take a liking. if my cleaner doesnt try to steal it were ur maroons farm raised?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you have a better chance with wild caught but captive bred will still do it

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like juvi mccullochi. A guy named Mrblue out of Australia got a special permit to catch I think 4 pairs from the only place they are found years back. He was able to breed these. No more wild will probably ever be collected, unless illegally.

Looks like the story from Reef Builders won't paste but google "The Mcullochi Clownfish Story" It is on Reefbuilders facebook from 2009.

ORA breeds these.

I like them and have 2 pairs, slow growers IME. Can be somewhat aggressive. They took to my RBTA's right away. If I recall BTA and H. crispa are their natural hosts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back