Clownfish scratching ?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 frosbite clowns fish from dr reef. Had issues with them not eating for over 14 days. They are eating now frozen, and pellets. And they are gaining back weight. However from time to time i see my big clown go to the UV intake, or sand scratch his head quick scratch on sand. He does it very rarely. But im surprised the fish is quarantined, and nothing added tk the tank after the fish. Their poop is white. But people told me thats because mysis shrimp diet. Any idea? Or concern. Thank you

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
look up GIF by Dumbfoundead
... ;)best wishes
#fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 frosbite clowns fish from dr reef. Had issues with them not eating for over 14 days. They are eating now frozen, and pellets. And they are gaining back weight. However from time to time i see my big clown go to the UV intake, or sand scratch his head quick scratch on sand. He does it very rarely. But im surprised the fish is quarantined, and nothing added tk the tank after the fish. Their poop is white. But people told me thats because mysis shrimp diet. Any idea? Or concern. Thank you

How often does it happen? Does the other clown not scratch at all?

Clowns are not really prone to flukes, and the Dr. Reef quarantine process should have taken care of those.

In some clownfish, scratching can be a behavioral thing.

Jay

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How often does it happen? Does the other clown not scratch at all?

Clowns are not really prone to flukes, and the Dr. Reef quarantine process should have taken care of those.

In some clownfish, scratching can be a behavioral thing.

Jay
Hey jay. Sorry I shouldn’t of made another thread. It happens very rarely like maybe once a day. The other clown does not scratch at al

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jay. Sorry I shouldn’t of made another thread. It happens very rarely like maybe once a day. The other clown does not scratch at al

Without secondary symptoms, I wouldn't treat for anything right now, not while the two fish are still recovering from whatever ailed them....

Jay

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without secondary symptoms, I wouldn't treat for anything right now, not while the two fish are still recovering from whatever ailed them....

Jay
My friend also bought 2 clowns from dr reef. And they are doing weird stuff as well. Staying in 1 single corner. Not doing anything else swimming or anything. Stuff is weird man

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Hi jay. They dont scratch anymore but I noticed lately their energy been off. The male one stays in the cage all day. Barely any energy for food. I tried to eat pellets it waits for the pellet to come to him. I dont know it theu have a weird personality or whats the deal.

The other clowns stays in cave all day but swims a bit but eats all kind of frozen this one. Stays in cave all day and swims very lazy

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay. They dont scratch anymore but I noticed lately their energy been off. The male one stays in the cage all day. Barely any energy for food. I tried to eat pellets it waits for the pellet to come to him. I dont know it theu have a weird personality or whats the deal.

The other clowns stays in cave all day but swims a bit but eats all kind of frozen this one. Stays in cave all day and swims very lazy

That clown is breathing hard and its gills are spread open/swollen. There are a few causes for that, the one that is the most treatable is gill flukes. I understand that the fish went through a quarantine, but those are not always 100% effective. Depending on your tank's history, they could even have picked up flukes from that.

I think it would be worthwhile to run a course of Prazipro in the tank - dosed 2 times, 8 days apart, with good aeration. If it is gill flukes, that will help. If it is bacterial gill disease it won't help.

Jay

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clown is breathing hard and its gills are spread open/swollen. There are a few causes for that, the one that is the most treatable is gill flukes. I understand that the fish went through a quarantine, but those are not always 100% effective. Depending on your tank's history, they could even have picked up flukes from that.

I think it would be worthwhile to run a course of Prazipro in the tank - dosed 2 times, 8 days apart, with good aeration. If it is gill flukes, that will help. If it is bacterial gill disease it won't help.

Jay
Why would that happen this is the part im confused about. If its bacterial gill disease where would it come from

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Do i then off roller matt and skimmer for prazi pro, and also do between the 2 doses do i have to do water changes? Thank you. And i also have 3 fish coming tmw royal gamma , tomini tang, and midas blenny would prazi pro stresses everyone out

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do i then off roller matt and skimmer for prazi pro, and also do between the 2 doses do i have to do water changes? Thank you. And i also have 3 fish coming tmw royal gamma , tomini tang, and midas blenny would prazi pro stresses everyone out

You should run your skimmer, but do not collect any skimmate, allow it to flow back into the tank.

I don't know about roller mat - I never ran into that issue before. Prazipro forms a very fine dust in the water, you don't want the roller mat to remove it from the water. Can you turn it off for a day after each treatment without disrupting the tank flow too much?

Some people change 25% of the water prior to the second treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should run your skimmer, but do not collect any skimmate, allow it to flow back into the tank.

I don't know about roller mat - I never ran into that issue before. Prazipro forms a very fine dust in the water, you don't want the roller mat to remove it from the water. Can you turn it off for a day after each treatment without disrupting the tank flow too much?

Jay
So do you think its 100% flukes?

close up video if u see anything prazi pro coming tmw

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Also white poop. I never seen tjem pooping anything but white

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also white poop. I never seen tjem pooping anything but white

Ugh - the rapid breathing combined with the white feces and the stilted swimming in that last video are all related. I see that a lot in clownfish here. Trouble is, I don't have a clear diagnosis for you. I have a suspicion that it is related to either microsporidians or coccidia, but there is no way to diagnose those without a microscope, and then, it is difficult.

So - since prazipro is really the only treatment you can dose in a display tank, and since I can't rule flukes out 100%, it makes some sense to continue down that road, but I'm not as confident that the fish has gills flukes, because the other two symptoms don't line up.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back