Clownfish still acting weird.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few other threads on this discussion but my clownfish is still acting weird, it lays down in its cave and really only gets up when i go near it. Hasn’t been eating as much i think and its breathing heavy. I have heard this might be fLuke’s, and if so would a freshwater dup help? I just ordered prazipro and i will use that as soon as it comes in. How would i do a freshwater dip with tap water.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip will give some relief (if there is a disease), but will not solve the problem. It can be used as a diagnostic tool, as neobendina flukes can be seen in it (others are too small and would require a microscope).
To do the dip, match the temperature of the dip water to the tank water and transfer the fish for 5 minutes. This is best done in a dark container to reduce stress and to make flukes more visible.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few other threads on this discussion but my clownfish is still acting weird, it lays down in its cave and really only gets up when i go near it. Hasn’t been eating as much i think and its breathing heavy. I have heard this might be fLuke’s, and if so would a freshwater dup help? I just ordered prazipro and i will use that as soon as it comes in. How would i do a freshwater dip with tap water.
Freshwater dip can give relief. You need to use purified water or use a dechlorinator with tapwater.
It may be best to use bottled water if you dont have access to RODI

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A freshwater dip will give some relief (if there is a disease), but will not solve the problem. It can be used as a diagnostic tool, as neobendina flukes can be seen in it (others are too small and would require a microscope).
To do the dip, match the temperature of the dip water to the tank water and transfer the fish for 5 minutes. This is best done in a dark container to reduce stress and to make flukes more visible.
thank you, do you think the clownfish cold wait for two more days until the prazirpo arrives so i dont have to take the chance of killing my fish in the freshwater dip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
thank you, do you think the clownfish cold wait for two more days until the prazirpo arrives so i dont have to take the chance of killing my fish in the freshwater dip.
ASSUMING its flukes, a freshwater dip in tap water the same temperature as display tank would offer temporary relief and buy time until meds arrive but I hate recommending without confirmation. Any pics of the clown under white lighting showing any symptoms ?

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ASSUMING its flukes, a freshwater dip in tap water the same temperature as display tank would offer temporary relief and buy time until meds arrive but I hate recommending without confirmation. Any pics of the clown under white lighting showing any symptoms ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately, video is fuzzy and limited to image of the fish in a cave.
Again IF flukes, signs you will see are: rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again IF flukes, signs you will see are: rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
Those symptoms sound exactly like what my clownfish is doing. Just to clarify prazipro is going to help. My fish has been acting like this for about 3-4 weeks.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better video, I have the necessary things to do a fresh water dip if needed.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This was a good quality video. I really dont see symptoms in fact typical respirations for clownfish

Maybe a second set of eyes: @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a good quality video. I really dont see symptoms in fact typical respirations for clownfish

Maybe a second set of eyes: @Jay Hemdal
Ok, he Has just not been eating as much as he usually does and is not as active, he usually swims out of his cave and goes crazy when he sees the food container, he has not been doing this recently though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flukes is the most likely diagnosis. I could be wrong,?but I think this fish will make it a few days until you can get the Prazipro. Be sure to add good aeration and dose a second time 8 or 9 days later.
Jay

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flukes is the most likely diagnosis. I could be wrong,?but I think this fish will make it a few days until you can get the Prazipro. Be sure to add good aeration and dose a second time 8 or 9 days later.
Jay
It doesn't say so on the bottle of the medication, should I remove my carbon and the phosguard that i use. And should i do a water change After i use it. Thanks.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For prazi you remove carbon and take the cap off the skimmer if you are not adding additional aeration. I would recommend doing a water change around day 6-7 after first dose and then do another dose like Jay suggested.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For prazi you remove carbon and take the cap off the skimmer if you are not adding additional aeration. I would recommend doing a water change around day 6-7 after first dose and then do another dose like Jay suggested.
Is phosguard ok to use? I’m trying to lower my phosphates too.

Daenion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is phosguard ok to use? I’m trying to lower my phosphates too.
Phosguard should be fine. If I recall correctly prazi’s active ingredient is basically spent after 72 hours. You wait for eggs to hatch and do one more treatment. You can run carbon after 4th day and take it out before you do the second dose.

Btw second dose is a must not optional. You might even have to do a third depending on how things go.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 57 43.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back