Clownfish suddenly dead

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today after feeding my corals with a new batch of Reef-roids, my clownfish suddenly died. He is my only fish, so I can't speak to how other fish would be doing. He was about a year old. In the tank with him is a BTA that he pretty much stayed in all the time. Occasionally he would make his way to my Duncans. Other corals are two bubble corals, a torch coral, a ton of pulsing Xenia (HELP!), and some GSP and a clam. All the corals look fine considering I just fed them. I checked the water, everything seems fine. My question I guess is could it have been the coral food? This just came in from Amazon. I usually get it in a little white plastic thing with a lid, but this time they send it in a baggie of sorts. It was labeled and looked proper. Thats the only thing different. I haven't added any coral, or other tank mates. I did my normal water change like always on Sunday. Its been a very uneventful reef for the most part. He was happy and swimming before feeding the corals. He always gets excited and picks at my hand while I'm feeding. Any thoughts?

Tank: Waterbox Cube 20
Light: 150Watt (Cheap Odyssea from eBay) Metal halide with a 14k Phoenix bulb.
MP10 wave maker
Icecap K-1 Nano skimmer
Water Specs:
Temp 80 ish
PH 7.8 or 8.0 depends on the lighting. Its always this.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0 (I never test this but I did today for fun)
Phosphate .25
Salinity 1.026
Calcium 360 maybe 400...this test is really horrible and annoying!

Heres the little guy. The snails didn't waste any time. :(
tempImage8voCpM.jpg

Heres a picture of my clam...She has nothing to do with this, I just think she's pretty. :)
IMG_1744.JPG

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the baggy? I have never seen it for sale like that.

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the baggy? I have never seen it for sale like that.
I haven't either. I complained to Amazon, because the mail lady complained to me. It smells horrible! Even through the unopened bag.

tempImagexvocdX.jpg

tempImageC3l1Hg.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to look it up. I guess it is a new packaging as I see it for sale on legit websites.

Can’t imagine it would harm a clown unless it clogged his gills.

It is definitely smelly stuff.

RiptideAquaculture

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Very interesting, im not sure if I would make the jump the blame the food quite yet.( could be an issue but I wouldn't start there).
So firstly how was his eating habits and was there any odd things about him.

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, im not sure if I would make the jump the blame the food quite yet.( could be an issue but I wouldn't start there).
So firstly how was his eating habits and was there any odd things about him.
He loved to eat. I fed him frozen Rods Food. Any time you walked past the tank he would assume it was time to eat and come to the top. There was nothing odd about him except he was mean. I've had two other clowns over the year. The first one he beat to death almost instantly. They we bought at the same time. Once they hit the tank he commenced to beating the other fish, didn't last the day. Months later I ordered another (There was a sale and I am weak). I found that one outside the tank a few days later. I always assumed he chased her out. haha. Other than being mean he was normal. I fed him this morning, he ate. IDK

The only change I made was I'm trying out the Kessil A160WE and I have the halide off. I don't think it will be enough light for the clam though, but I wanted to give it a shot. The halide scares me being on while I'm at work. Though I don't think the light would affect him in any way.

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took him out. Other than where the snails and crabs were eating on him I don't see anything odd.
tempImageqD9eWZ.jpg

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than being mean he was normal.

Sounds like a completely normal Clownfish to me! ;) But seriously, sorry to hear of your loss. Any chance he could have got into a powerhead (the MP10)? Stray voltage?

My last purchase of Reef Roids came in the same packaging, and while it has a smell to it, I wouldn't say it is THAT bad.

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a completely normal Clownfish to me! ;) But seriously, sorry to hear of your loss. Any chance he could have got into a powerhead (the MP10)? Stray voltage?

My last purchase of Reef Roids came in the same packaging, and while it has a smell to it, I wouldn't say it is THAT bad.
I don't think he could have gotten into it. I have a guard on it, and it's also on the lowest setting. (It was kicking my torch corals butt). Not sure...Sad he's gone though. Thanks everyone for the input.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad. I’m sorry that happened. Wish I could help with ideas on why. But I’ll at least add that I’ve bought reef rods in that packaging and not had a problem.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back