Clownfish with white dots

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I had a variety of freshwater aquariums before I stopped almost 10 years ago.
Six weeks ago a started a new saltwater tank around 200l (52gal). I used live rock, live sand and added 2 clownfish after a week, the nitrogen cycle was complete. After that I slowly added pulsing xenia, photosynthetic gorgonian, gsp, and candy cane. The water parameters are stabile.
Long story short, 4 days ago we had a power outage for more than 5 hours, the water went down to 22 degrees celsius (71F). The very next day I noticed 3 white dots on the smaller clownfish ( one on each side of the body and one on the head). 3 Days later there is only one dot left on the left side of the fish and there is like a small bump on the white part of it's body (not sure if that bump was there before). All in all, the fish is active, eats and does everything like before (no scratching, no heavy breathing, no eye blurring, no closed fins). I had experience with freshwater ich, but back then it spreaded like mad. Is this ich or something else? If it is ich, what should I do?
P.S. The mouth of the fish is damaged by bullying from the bigger one.
Thank you in advance.
3.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg

20240317_173644.jpg

20240317_173647.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everybody. I'm new to the saltwater hobby. I had a variety of freshwater aquariums before I stopped almost 10 years ago.
Six weeks ago a started a new saltwater tank around 200l (52gal). I used live rock, live sand and added 2 clownfish after a week, the nitrogen cycle was complete. After that I slowly added pulsing xenia, photosynthetic gorgonian, gsp, and candy cane. The water parameters are stabile.
Long story short, 4 days ago we had a power outage for more than 5 hours, the water went down to 22 degrees celsius (71F). The very next day I noticed 3 white dots on the smaller clownfish ( one on each side of the body and one on the head). 3 Days later there is only one dot left on the left side of the fish and there is like a small bump on the white part of it's body (not sure if that bump was there before). All in all, the fish is active, eats and does everything like before (no scratching, no heavy breathing, no eye blurring, no closed fins). I had experience with freshwater ich, but back then it spreaded like mad. Is this ich or something else? If it is ich, what should I do?
P.S. The mouth of the fish is damaged by bullying from the bigger one.
Thank you in advance.
3.jpg

1.jpg
2.jpg

20240317_173644.jpg

20240317_173647.jpg
The fact it remained as a single dot eliminates ich. Can be a sand grain stuck to its mucus coating or single cell bacterial lesion
Continue to keep an eye on it
If it increase in size or number, you can treat tank safely with ruby rally pro

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the areas look like a coral sting to me. I would watch

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact it remained as a single dot eliminates ich. Can be a sand grain stuck to its mucus coating or single cell bacterial lesion
Continue to keep an eye on it
If it increase in size or number, you can treat tank safely with ruby rally pro
Thank you. I will keep an eye on it, and update regularly.

the areas look like a coral sting to me. I would watch
I have pulsing xenia, candy cane, photosynthetic gorgonian and gsp. I'm new to the reef community, but as I understand these corals are considered peaceful and don't have very potent sting. And I have never seen the fish swim near any of the corals, but I can't be sure what happens after lights out. Thank you for the advice, I will watch the fish and it's behavior.

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. Today the fish was almost the same as yesterday, except the dot became more visible (like salt grain). The guy from the reef store saw this video and said this is most likely Velvet. He says he's been reffing for more than 20 years. I'm no expert, but I had experience in the past with freshwater Velvet, it looks diferent and it spreads like mad in a day or two and without treatment wipes out 80% of the fish in a week. This fish doesn't act ill at all, today is the 4th day since the dots showed up, and they haven't multiplied.
Could this be Velvet? I'm worried because I'm not treating yet.

Attachments

• 20240318_202059.mp4
    89.7 MB
OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. Today the fish was almost the same as yesterday, except the dot became more visible (like salt grain). The guy from the reef store saw this video and said this is most likely Velvet. He says he's been reffing for more than 20 years. I'm no expert, but I had experience in the past with freshwater Velvet, it looks diferent and it spreads like mad in a day or two and without treatment wipes out 80% of the fish in a week. This fish doesn't act ill at all, today is the 4th day since the dots showed up, and they haven't multiplied.
Could this be Velvet? I'm worried because I'm not treating yet.
Anyone has any idea?

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5th day today. The fish still has the same dot in the same spot, and acts the same (normal). Sorry the camera is blurry. Please read the previous reply and help me identify if this could be Velvet.

Attachments

• 20240319_165120.jpg
    20240319_165120.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed a lot of copepods (or something else) in the water and on some surfaces (I've opened another topic about that). Could this be somehow connected to my problem here? Please help me decide should i start treating with copper?
1000000383.jpg

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown that had white dots doesn't have them anymore, but my other clown (the bigger one) is now swimming very odd. The video is short, but she swims like that all day today.

Attachments

• 20240322_195327.mp4
    13.5 MB

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, to me its a clown fish acting like a clown.

Has it found something to host? They will start hosting things you don't want them to host.
Mine started with the power head/wave maker, which worried the hell out of me, as i was worried id find it one day stuck inside it dead.

But i see nothing wrong with that clown.

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, to me its a clown fish acting like a clown.

Has it found something to host? They will start hosting things you don't want them to host.
Mine started with the power head/wave maker, which worried the hell out of me, as i was worried id find it one day stuck inside it dead.

But i see nothing wrong with that clown.
She is hosting that hike in the rock. Now I moved the wave maker a little bit lower, and that spot is hit by semi l-direct current

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back