Clownfish

Ligershark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very nice pair of bali aquarich picassos from 2013. They are the crown jewel of my tank. They lay eggs regularly but I do not have the space or time to attempt to raise the fry.

I redesigned my aquascape last weekend and in doing so disturbed the clowns home gbta. The gbta split a few months back and I only want to keep one so I have room for coral. I removed one of the gbta and put it in an acclimation box.

I noticed my male clown breathing heavy and "sinking" and laying on the gbta still attached to a rock in my scape. He stopped eating for a few days and had no visible wounds nor did i notice any stringy poop. I have treated for brooklynella before and other parasites years ago and this was like nothing I had observed.

As a hailmary before he got too sick to save I put the clown in a freshwater dip with some prazipro. I let it sit for 3 minutes took it out and put it in a small plastic isolation/intank refugium in my display. After a few minutes I took it out and put it in the freshwater dip for 7 minutes. I had to disturb the fish when it was in the dip because it would stop swimming and lay on its side. I then put it in the isolation tank in my display again. After about an hour I got a 5 gallon bucket of fresh saltwater and air stone mixing. I dosed double (accidentally) of kordon's rid-ich plus. I put the clown in there for about 30 minutes. Took it out and put it in the isolation in my display. I alternated this a few times between an hour or two in isolation in display then 30 minutes in the bucket.

After a few times I put it in the isolation fuge and noticed it took a huge poop. I used a turkey baster removed it and noticed large krill shell (feed my bta's krill) and a bunch of pellets.

I put the clown in the full display and removed the isolation fuge. Following morning it looked better and began swimming better and slowly began to eat again. I noticed why stringy poop yesterday and am feeding new life spectrum hex shield and regular pellets and reef frenzy. I feel very confident that it will make a full recovery.

In the beginning of this process it would not eat. I had the prazi pro, rid ich, and hex shield on hand from past experiences and being in the hobby for many years. The prazi and rid ich was expired. But it was better then nothing.

Thank you to this forum for all the help and information on here. I did not know a freshwater dip had to be at least 5 minutes to kill any flukes or parasites (i did not observe any) until I began reading on here. Whether there were parasites and the aquascaping stressed the fish, there were no parasites, or if the aquascaping had nothing to do with the stress, I have saved the clown.

Make sure you have some medicated food and meds on hand. Time is important. Treating your fish before its too late for them to recover is imperative.

EEM9Icpl.png

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! Just a suggestion, rather than the hex shield you might consider follow-up using medicated frozen food... (1-2 scoops general cure + 1 scoop focus +1 tablespoon thawed frozen food) Feed twice daily for 2-3 weeks, or until white-stringy poop subsides.

I would suggest this vs. the hex shield because it will treat for both flagellates AND intestinal worms. I'm glad your clown is doing better!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back