Clownfish

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

One of my clownfish pair died unexpectedly last night. He looked fine at feeding before bed but found him pale on the substrate this morning.

Concerned now about the wellbeing of the remaining clown. He ate his breakfast as normal but seems to be spending a lot of time swimming low in the tank compared to previously (could just be me being over cautious) Does anyone think he looks unwell?

0C2868EF-1FD3-4A15-9B0B-B1127759F437.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a possible white sheen on the fish. Can you take a look at the link below my name here or n the sticky section at the top of the disease section - it lists the additional background information that is helpful to know about your fish/tank. Pictures/video taken under white light is important, water quality data, history of the fish, etc.
Thanks,
Jay

OP
OP
M

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply! That’s a really useful sticky!

Aquarium:
Currently fish only
160 litres
Filter cup with floss and carbon in sump
Skimmer (has only been on a couple of days)
Established about three weeks - I used ATM colony (I know this is not always popular but have had success before and parameters seem to suggest it has worked)

Water:
24.7c
pH 8.4
1.023SG
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm

Other info:
These were the only two fish in the aquarium and had come from a previous tank - they were the only fish there too so have the option of moving if required
The remaining fish had previously appeared dominant over the other though this seemed to have let up
He is still feeding

Video attached below under white light

Attachments

• IMG_0293.MOV
    13.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I tried multiple programs and couldn’t get your video to play. Could you try posting a YouTube link?
Is the remaining fish breathing hard?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies - does this link work for you...

The link worked, but I still can’t see clearly. My concern is that the fish may have Brooklynella. That is a common clownfish disease, but usually only seen in recently imported fish. Check out the stickies at the top of this section and see if any of those pictures resemble how your fish looks.
Jay

OP
OP
M

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't appear similar to Brooklynella to me - that appears to lead to a slimy coating on the fish which I can't see on mine. He just generally seems to be paler in some patches but seems to change all the time and have seen this in him previously - right now he looks 'normal'. I wouldn't actually be concerned were it not for the recent tank move and the death of the other clown. Do you think it's likely a case of 'wait and see' or is there something I can do that could help him if there is something affecting him?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is 3 weeks old? (if I saw correctly). when did you add the fish? and did you add them together? Likely the biofilter was not able to handle 2 fish

OP
OP
M

moosefingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is 3 weeks old? (if I saw correctly). when did you add the fish? and did you add them together? Likely the biofilter was not able to handle 2 fish
I added them about two weeks ago with the ATM Colony, transferred from my previous tank. I do get your point about the biofilter but based on my water parameters (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrate) I think that's possibly not the issue?

In good news the remaining fish seems okay today, if a little more docile than usual.

If he does die is it worthwhile having a fallow period to remove any risk that there may be something in the tank? If so would this reset the cycle - guessing the bacteria need a food source? And would there be any risks in transferring over my hermits and snail from my old tank?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back