New Angel fish laying on bottom

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
This is actually Snazzy’s mom, he had to work today. He got a new Coral beauty Angel from the LFS on Monday. It’s in a 20 gallon quarantine alone. Wednesday he noticed some spots (he thinks ich) so he started copper and has been ramping that up slowly since Angels can be sensitive.
The fish has been swimming around and eating okay. Yesterday I noticed slightly fast breathing so I raised the power head up towards the surface more and removed the lid for better airation. The breathing seemed to return to normal and he ate fine last night.
This morning he’s laying on the tank floor and appears to be barely breathing. What can I do, big water change? More copper (last reading was 1.6ppm)? All other levels are normal.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. Sorry.

If using Copper Power or Coppersafe (not ionic copper like Cupramine), there isn't a reason to ramp up. Just start at 2.0+ ppm Copper Power when dealing with an active ich or velvet infection.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got back home and the fish is no longer alive.
If it had disease , ramping allies disease to gain control of the fish
What is current ammonia level?

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None detected when he tested everything yesterday evening. His ammonia test is API, the others are all Hanna.
I had the same thing happen with an emperor angel overnight. He was great, eating, and the next morning gone. Had him for a two months, nothing weird the whole time and one morning just poof and dead. Very frustrating

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
None detected when he tested everything yesterday evening. His ammonia test is API, the others are all Hanna.
I encourage you to get another water test at an LFS that does Not use spi kits and see what readings they get and to compare with yours

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I encourage you to get another water test at an LFS that does Not use spi kits and see what readings they get and to compare with yours
Thanks. The LFS Snazzy works at also uses API. He mentioned purchasing either a Hanna Ammonia test or Salifert before we buy another fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi,
This is actually Snazzy’s mom, he had to work today. He got a new Coral beauty Angel from the LFS on Monday. It’s in a 20 gallon quarantine alone. Wednesday he noticed some spots (he thinks ich) so he started copper and has been ramping that up slowly since Angels can be sensitive.
The fish has been swimming around and eating okay. Yesterday I noticed slightly fast breathing so I raised the power head up towards the surface more and removed the lid for better airation. The breathing seemed to return to normal and he ate fine last night.
This morning he’s laying on the tank floor and appears to be barely breathing. What can I do, big water change? More copper (last reading was 1.6ppm)? All other levels are normal.
Generally speaking you should not 'ramp up' copper if there is evidence of a disease (as others have said - and unfortunately I wasn't able to see their posts until after I answered). I would immediately increase it to 2.3-2.5 ppm (assuming it's a disease) - you should increase aeration, as well as checking ammonia (perhaps with a Seachem alert badge). It is my recollection that these angels have had issues lately - whereby the succumb shortly after arriving home. The other question I have is - what was Snazzy's acclimation protocol

EDIT - when I posted this - I could not see that you had posted the fish had died - sorry for that.

Last edited:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back home and the fish is no longer alive.
aww :( so very sorry to hear about your loss. Have you tested all your parameters? I do not know anything about copper other how dangerous it can be to tank inhabitants. Hopefully someone will come on here soon that can offer some sort help / advice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. The LFS Snazzy works at also uses API. He mentioned purchasing either a Hanna Ammonia test or Salifert before we buy another fish.
I do NOT think there is any evidence that API testing is any better or worse than the others. And - if anything API tests are claimed to falsely suggest the presence of ammonia - as compared to no ammonia - HOWEVER, each test has its false positives and negatives. so - checking with either another API test (i.e. at your LFS) -or another method is fine. What is your pH?

FYI - just noticed the angel died - do you have other fish? any symptoms?

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back