Clowns appear white… after 6 months in tank?

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, so I have had my clowns in my tank for 6 months, never had any issues, then today I notice that they both appear to have a white film on them. I’m hoping that this is not velvet but I’m assuming that it is, I only have this tank, it’s filled with my corals. Im praying that it doesn’t mean that I need to start over. I’d love to get some input from everyone here.

IMG_2495.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello all, so I have had my clowns in my tank for 6 months, never had any issues, then today I notice that they both appear to have a white film on them. I’m hoping that this is not velvet but I’m assuming that it is, I only have this tank, it’s filled with my corals. Im praying that it doesn’t mean that I need to start over. I’d love to get some input from everyone here.

IMG_2495.jpeg
You dont have to start over but you want to place clown in a separate tank and treat it with Ruby rally pro and added aeration. The clown looks to have both secondary bacterial infection and stale ich which has stuck with fish.
The display tank can remain running without fish for 6-8 weeks, Coral and inverts can remain.
Is fish eating?
Is it breathing normal or labored?
How long has this progressed to reach this point?

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I am glued to this tank on a daily basis, I’m almost hundred percent confident that this happened within the last 12 hours

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video would likely tell if it is Brooklynella or Velvet (Amyloodinium). Since the treatments are different for these two diseases, and they can kill fish quickly, it is vital that you get an accurate diagnosis right away.

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I am glued to this tank on a daily basis, I’m almost hundred percent confident that this happened within the last 12 hours
A video would likely tell if it is Brooklynella or Velvet (Amyloodinium). Since the treatments are different for these two diseases, and they can kill fish quickly, it is vital that you get an accurate diagnosis right away.
Is it a bad idea to treat Brooke and velvet at the same time?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic
Have you added any other fish recently? I wonder how they would have gotten this after 6mo in your tank

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This may be a bit more clear

Is the new goby symptom free?

The clowns are both breathing too fast but I don’t see the large amount of mucus associated with Brooklynella. I would treat them with Coppersafe for velvet then. However, velvet is fairly rare, and the videos aren’t super clear, so if you see any white mucus on the fish that didn’t show up in the video, it still could be Brook.

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your rapid input and help, unfortunately the clowns died overnight, I guess just need to run without any fish for 6-8 weeks, also New goby jumped about a week ago. Nowhere to be seen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 7

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your rapid input and help, unfortunately the clowns died overnight, I guess just need to run without any fish for 6-8 weeks, also New goby jumped about a week ago. Nowhere to be seen.
I'm sorry to hear this.
This hobby can be so brutal.. buying a fish only to have it jump out of the tank after a week. But before it did, it infected your beautiful clowns, and now forces you to run the tank fallow for a few months. I can see why people QT new additions, I might start doing it myself.

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a new tank that is pretty much only suitable as a quarantine tank no excuse now I’m going to quarantine everything

OP
OP
N

nibes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where do I go from here? If it were ich or Velvet or brook, how long do I keep my tank, fish free? Do I need to do anything else besides not placing any new fish inside the tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where do I go from here? If it were ich or Velvet or brook, how long do I keep my tank, fish free? Do I need to do anything else besides not placing any new fish inside the tank?

The fallow period for various parasites ranges from 30 to 60 days of no fish being in the tank. I'd opt for 60 days in this case, since the cause was never really determined.

Back