Club organization meeting

mydream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want more members less dues. If you want less members high dues. Show members what the club can do for them first. This is not going happen over night.

nkelr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know my input wont count for much, but i dont like the whole club and paid member think. i like it better as an informal group of people sharing a common interest,not something you have pay money to be a member of. i also think that if you want to sell something that you should be able to even though you aren't a paid member. there are alot of people out there that have stuff to get rid of and what better way then to pass it off among other reefers. thirdly if it does go down i am for keeping it on r2r to keep the cost down, but lets make it open for everyone to post and it we do want to limit people on selling stuff lets make it a 30 post minimum like wrs. we dont need our own website right away. even if you do a google search for fox valley reef club, the first thing you see is rc and r2r. i hope my 2 cents count for something.

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want more members less dues. If you want less members high dues. Show members what the club can do for them first. This is not going happen over night.

I don't think it's quite as black and white as that. The point I was trying to make was that if we show what we intend to use the money for (no matter what the amount of association dues) then people will be more informed about what their money is going towards and it'll help them decide what their preference will be for the amount of money they would like the dues to be.

******EDIT/ADDITION*****
This concept may actually entice more members. Example:

If dues are $15 per year we won't have much money to invest in the club to make it enticing for new members to join.

If we increase the cost of dues (reasonably) we can then show that the money will go towards a trip or equipment to share (lux meter, photometers, etc...) then people might be interested in using that stuff and be more adept to join.

Again. JMO.

Jeremy

Last edited:

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know my input wont count for much, but i dont like the whole club and paid member think. i like it better as an informal group of people sharing a common interest,not something you have pay money to be a member of. i also think that if you want to sell something that you should be able to even though you aren't a paid member. there are alot of people out there that have stuff to get rid of and what better way then to pass it off among other reefers. thirdly if it does go down i am for keeping it on r2r to keep the cost down, but lets make it open for everyone to post and it we do want to limit people on selling stuff lets make it a 30 post minimum like wrs. we dont need our own website right away. even if you do a google search for fox valley reef club, the first thing you see is rc and r2r. i hope my 2 cents count for something.

When you get a chance, take a look at the original thread started by Jhildebrand. This formalization we're trying to create isn't any form of taking away from the group that is already formed. This new formal club we're organizing is merely another option for reefers to be involved in. We're not forcing anyone to join nor do we intend to change anything that is already established. If you don't want to be a part of a formal club and pay association dues then that's entirely OK. Maybe once you see what the club can offer you'll change your mind. Our current goal now is to establish some basic club structure, gather those who are interested in giving it a try, and highlight what an advantage it would be towards being a part the new level of involvement.

Jeremy

Bri Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nkelr
Ive been on RC for years and r2r since weve switched over, and yes they have been nice and very helpful, but restricting also. I have seen many missed opportunities for us. There are obviously different levels of peoples commitment to there hobby/lifestyle. RC and R2R are not going anywhere just because some of us want a more formal club, those clubs will still exist, and some people will choose to use them as they match there level of need, and im sure we will still visit them. But for some of us, we are looking for more.

JMO and can be passed on at the meet tonight, since I can't be there either

Club name: looks like the people already named it on the poll FVRC

Since we are an internet based club, i also agree that we should put some money down for a nice web site, since thats 95% of our club activities, it should be nice. Something like MARS or WRS and it should have a pulblic view and locked section for paid members (ill never post my addy public, but if it was a locked section I would) Tank profile section, shared equipment, calander, etc.... But conducting business on here till we get the other one running will do.

Dues, (again JMO) $25

Any and All decisions should be by poll. Its the only fair way to get more than 50% of all of us together (except for our DFS trip, seems we can all get off for that one) That way anybody that has paid get some what of a say in where the money is spent, choosing dates for swaps, etc...

Club leaders: Its going to be hard at first without having a secretary to take dues, who gets to choose, there not paid members yet voting? So i say we have temprary group together getting stuff done, and after we get say 15 paid members then we re-due the list of leaders in an official member vote.

and lastly, I don't think this club needs a leader as much as it needs workers, if we all pitch in and help then nobody has to take on too much theirselves, and look like the leader of the pack. I understand you can't have a club with out having "Club leaders" but id rather look at it as "Club workers" and the club as a whole is the "leader" letting the majority rule. And as for the work I see no problem in having more than one person for each job, sharing the responsibilites and having more than one person keeping an eye on things. JMO

Lastly as history does repeat itself.... 90% of club members sit and watch 10% do all the work and talk about how they could do it better, don't be one of the 90%.
I think theres room in that 10% for all of us!

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nkelr
Ive been on RC for years and r2r since weve switched over, and yes they have been nice and very helpful, but restricting also. I have seen many missed opportunities for us. There are obviously different levels of peoples commitment to there hobby/lifestyle. RC and R2R are not going anywhere just because some of us want a more formal club, those clubs will still exist, and some people will choose to use them as they match there level of need, and im sure we will still visit them. But for some of us, we are looking for more.

JMO and can be passed on at the meet tonight, since I can't be there either

Club name: looks like the people already named it on the poll FVRC

Since we are an internet based club, i also agree that we should put some money down for a nice web site, since thats 95% of our club activities, it should be nice. Something like MARS or WRS and it should have a pulblic view and locked section for paid members (ill never post my addy public, but if it was a locked section I would) Tank profile section, shared equipment, calander, etc.... But conducting business on here till we get the other one running will do.

Dues, (again JMO) $25

Any and All decisions should be by poll. Its the only fair way to get more than 50% of all of us together (except for our DFS trip, seems we can all get off for that one) That way anybody that has paid get some what of a say in where the money is spent, choosing dates for swaps, etc...

Club leaders: Its going to be hard at first without having a secretary to take dues, who gets to choose, there not paid members yet voting? So i say we have temprary group together getting stuff done, and after we get say 15 paid members then we re-due the list of leaders in an official member vote.

and lastly, I don't think this club needs a leader as much as it needs workers, if we all pitch in and help then nobody has to take on too much theirselves, and look like the leader of the pack. I understand you can't have a club with out having "Club leaders" but id rather look at it as "Club workers" and the club as a whole is the "leader" letting the majority rule. And as for the work I see no problem in having more than one person for each job, sharing the responsibilites and having more than one person keeping an eye on things. JMO

Lastly as history does repeat itself.... 90% of club members sit and watch 10% do all the work and talk about how they could do it better, don't be one of the 90%.
I think theres room in that 10% for all of us!

VERY well said Brian!! I second every aspect of your post, just didn't have the ability to articulate it as well as you did. Thanks!

Jeremy

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I agree that the board will be made up of those that want to do some extra work for the good of the group. My plan is to continue to get this set up with all the needed details but only until we are organized enough for the election. Once again, politics should be at a minimum because the prez won't have much power more than the average member. They will however, have some extra responsibility for taking care of club biz, being a point of contact, and running any meetings.

I too, will not post my personal info on a public site, but would certainly do so in a private section of our website. The bio section of the site with FTS will also let people link the system to the owner to the screen name. Not only is it hard to remember who is who, it's also tough to trust someone you've never met. There is too much anonymity on our current forum. I would like to know who i'm dealing with whenever possible. The fact that a person joined the club, paid dues, and has basic contact info listed makes me feel more at ease.

The people that join this club are the ones that, as briguy stated, want to take it to the next level. This applies to newbies and old hobbiests alike. I think as well we really need to rethink the whole FVRC name thing. As posted above, some will want nothing to do with the new club and in fairness to them maybe we should make a clean break and fresh start. This could certainly avoid confusion for outsiders. Either way, the name change should not be decided permanently until we collect dues so the only votes that count are from those that joined.

Disclaimer: It's going to be a leap of faith at first with your dues, because we need to have our core members before we can vote on anything important. The list is pushing 30 right now that want to join, but we'll see how many actually pull the trigger shortly. We have a few volunteers that have been really helpful with things so far, and I'm going to be asking for more help on the website and a temporary treasurer to collect our dues. Trusting each other in this early phase is going to be important. I will try to get our tax ID and club bank account set up so we can pay the organization, not an individual.

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, dues at:

$35 is $2.91/mo
$30 is $2.50
$25 is $2.08

Keep in mind that we will have some modest start up costs and one of the goals of the club is to have equip available to use for free. If we collect too little, there won't be anything to buy, and we could never rent a place for a swap. I may just bite the bullet for the domain name and hosting, but I would expect reimbursement for that when we officially get started.

If you turn your halides off ten minutes sooner daily you'll pay your dues for the whole year no matter what amount we decide...

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you turn your halides off ten minutes sooner daily you'll pay your dues for the whole year no matter what amount we decide...

Or buy one or two less Frags! We're not talking a lot of money here when you compare what each and every one of us put into this hobby. The small amount I suggested is nothing compared to what we could do as a club as a whole with the dues! The sky is the limit. Why limit it right away?

Eric

customcolor

The coRal nuT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember frags range in price...$5-$80+...

im not fighting...just wanted to be funny...

im not implying that dues should be $15..i was just thinking that $35 per person and $50 per family may scare a few...i was really thinking about $25 per person and $40 per fam...more later tonight :)

jlinzmaier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome dialogue and input guys!! With such logical thinking and so many people wanting this to happen properly, I'm sure it will be great!!

Aside from the dues, I can't contribute much more financially at this point, but I have dozens of great ideas to make this club intriguing, fun, and a spectacular club to be a part of. Just wait and see!! I've been thinking up ideas every day on how I can contribute in my own individual way.

This thing is going to be awesome and we've got some really smart, logical, and fair people laying the groundwork. John, I won't hesitate a bit to take this initial leap of faith with my dues.

Jeremy

Fishcrazy06

Reefing Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow no response on the meeting from tonight yet? Wish i could have made it be needed to go to my parents to help them out with some things.

Eric

kesslerkid01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
john will be posting a report of things to come I think most should be happy we worked hard and debated alot of topics this is just the begining of what i hope to be good things in the very near future of this club

OP
OP
Jhildebrand

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, well the foundation is laid and I will post the changes as soon as I can. The meeting went very well. I hope everyone is happy with the outcome.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back