CO2 for planted tank

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before anyone hounds me I have said it before And il say it again I know this is a saltwater forum but I call this place home over other forums and threads I find it alot more supportive and more knowledgeable than other forums. So I come here to ask questions as I'm sure most of you had FW before salt not all but most. So here's my question. I recently just got my CO2 running for my 55 gallon planted aquarium. I have a Coart dual stage regulator and a 5lb tank. So I'm trying to get to that 30ppm range when my lights turn on so my plants hit the ground running. But I have been turning on CO2 2 hours before lights come on. And around mid photo period is when my bubble checker actually turns green which is the good zone for CO2 saturation in the water and won't kill your fish. I don't have a lid on my tank and I have a few HOB filters so surface agitation isn't to much. I have a HOB outflow pouring right onto my diffuser so the CO2 bubbles aren't going to surface immediately. I'm at about 2 bubbles per second right now on bubble counter and about 25-26 pounds of pressure running from CO2 tank. Is that not enough for as big of a tank it is and because it doesn't have a lid? Should I maybe start CO2 3 hours before lights or up my bubble count? Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks! Happy reefing and happy FW planted fish keeping idk lol

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are starting plenty early....I would just increase your bubbles per second. I was running a sump with my high tech tank which had water pouring into a sock and still was able to maintain proper CO2 levels so I don't think the HOB filters are an issue.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well then I will slowly up my bubble count. Don't want to nuke my livestock as I have some beautiful rainbows from imperial tropicals here in Florida. And they were already showing some colour loss yesterday

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well then I will slowly up my bubble count. Don't want to nuke my livestock as I have some beautiful rainbows from imperial tropicals here in Florida. And they were already showing some colour loss yesterday
Yeah just take it slow....and be prepared to burn through CO2 lol.

OP
OP
J

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm introducing them slowly because they aren't use to this they have never had CO2 in there whole life so baby steps. And yea I already know since I have a bigger tank and open lid and most of it doesn't even get diffused before it hits surface.i know inline diffuser is way better but oh well. But honestly I found a welding shop near me in Tampa that initial start up fee was 85$ for the tank and air. And they said returns are 24$ after that. The other place I called wanted 180$ initial fee and 85$ each exchange I was like heck no. But yea I expect to be running through it but planted tanks just don't really thrive unless there is CO2. You see the real reds come out and the growth

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back