Are CO2 scrubbers beneficial regardless of ambient CO2 levels?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a CO2 scrubber only benefit a tank operating in a high CO2 environment, or will it also raise pH if the surrounding air has average levels? What levels are considered normal and elevated? I have a CO2 monitor on order but not sure what to do with the information it's about to provide me lol!

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I think you can tell just by looking at your pH. If you get values below 8 you probably have high co2 driving it down (assuming you have a trustworthy ph meter).

I experimented with a co2 scrubber and saw my ph raise by about 0.1 during the winter while the windows are shut.
My tank is 20 gallons located in the basement where I work all day. There are 5 people in my family and we have 2 dogs. My pH will get down to 7.7 or so over night according to my pinpoint ph monitor (calibrated monthly).
I only have a small skimmer (sucking in relatively small amount of air) - if you have a big skimmer you might have better results.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A proper scrubber attached to a proper skimmer for tank size will always raise pH.
This

Even if you don't think you're having that much ambient co2, it'll always increase it.

Assuming my PH meter is accurate I get up to 8.5, but I'll get as low as 8.0-8.1 without it.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I think you can tell just by looking at your pH. If you get values below 8 you probably have high co2 driving it down (assuming you have a trustworthy ph meter).

I experimented with a co2 scrubber and saw my ph raise by about 0.1 during the winter while the windows are shut.
My tank is 20 gallons located in the basement where I work all day. There are 5 people in my family and we have 2 dogs. My pH will get down to 7.7 or so over night according to my pinpoint ph monitor (calibrated monthly).
I only have a small skimmer (sucking in relatively small amount of air) - if you have a big skimmer you might have better results.
My house is lightly stocked with humans and animals lol, but I still was wondering if scrubbing would bringing my pH up from 8.1-8.2 to 8.3-8.4 and thereby benefit my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back