CO2 scrubber vs recirculating CO2 scrubber

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy! I was wondering if you know if a recirculating CO2 scrubber raises the pH of the tank more than the normal CO2 scrubber. I was also wondering which CO2 scrubber you suggest and what is the best CO2 scrubber media for a high pH increase.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy! I was wondering if you know if a recirculating CO2 scrubber raises the pH of the tank more than the normal CO2 scrubber. I was also wondering which CO2 scrubber you suggest and what is the best CO2 scrubber media for a high pH increase.

I'm not a fan of fully recirculating skimmer scrubbers as they eliminate one use of a skimmer: oxygenation.

They might reduce pH more or less than a single pass, depending on how much CO2 is removed from the water and added to the air with each pass.

More folks report a bigger pH lowering with recirculating, but that's not necessarily always the case, and I'm also not certain if that is not simply a moisture effect.

OP
OP
M

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a fan of fully recirculating skimmer scrubbers as they eliminate one use of a skimmer: oxygenation.

They might reduce pH more or less than a single pass, depending on how much CO2 is removed from the water and added to the air with each pass.

More folks report a bigger pH lowering with recirculating, but that's not necessarily always the case, and I'm also not certain if that is not simply a moisture effect.
Thank you and is there a difference between scrubber media brands or are they all the same, I heard kalkwasser had different qualities so I thought maybe the media also has that

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and is there a difference between scrubber media brands or are they all the same, I heard kalkwasser had different qualities so I thought maybe the media also has that

Different media are likely to have different surface area, and I'd expect differences, but have not seen any useful data for reefers to compare them.

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning of this week I’m receiving all my parts for a recirculating skimmer triggered to pull ambient air via a motorized ball valve. I’ll likely program apex to open valve (ambient room air) when pH > than 8.3ish and close (recirc air) when pH < 8.2 I’ll report back on how well it works for me.

OP
OP
M

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginning of this week I’m receiving all my parts for a recirculating skimmer triggered to pull ambient air via a motorized ball valve. I’ll likely program apex to open valve (ambient room air) when pH > than 8.3ish and close (recirc air) when pH < 8.2 I’ll report back on how well it works for me.
Thx I'm excited

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my scrubber as a recirculated system, however, I have a hole drilled in the lid of the skimmer cup so it mixes with ambient air as well. Recirculating without a doubt extends the life of the media. I recently switched to brs media and it seems to be working well for me so far. You can also find it pretty cheap online, the most common brand is JorVet. You can find it on Amazon and also veterinary supply companies.

OP
OP
M

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my scrubber as a recirculated system, however, I have a hole drilled in the lid of the skimmer cup so it mixes with ambient air as well. Recirculating without a doubt extends the life of the media. I recently switched to brs media and it seems to be working well for me so far. You can also find it pretty cheap online, the most common brand is JorVet. You can find it on Amazon and also veterinary supply companies.
But does the pH decrease compared to the standard CO2 scrubber? I'm all about ph. If my pH was 12 I would be happy (just kidding)

hoffmeyerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But does the pH decrease compared to the standard CO2 scrubber? I'm all about ph. If my pH was 12 I would be happy (just kidding)
Without my scrubber my ph hung about 7.9-8. Running it as I described with the brs media it hangs around 8.2-8.3. Decent enough increase for me. Drawing the air from the cup adds moisture and having the hole in the lid lets some ambient air mix as well. These days I've been getting 3-4 weeks out of the material. I don't bother addressing ph any more than the scrubber.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230904-162353.png
    Screenshot_20230904-162353.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 35

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without my scrubber my ph hung about 7.9-8. Running it as I described with the brs media it hangs around 8.2-8.3. Decent enough increase for me. Drawing the air from the cup adds moisture and having the hole in the lid lets some ambient air mix as well. These days I've been getting 3-4 weeks out of the material. I don't bother addressing ph any more than the scrubber.
Thx for the posts. I am struggling to keep co2 scrubbing media dry. Just went through desiccant in 1 day. Seems like a waste. Considering disconnecting the recirculating cap and going old school.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the posts. I am struggling to keep co2 scrubbing media dry. Just went through desiccant in 1 day. Seems like a waste. Considering disconnecting the recirculating cap and going old school.

Dessicant?

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That’s odd. I thought we used a mix of Kalk in the pellets, how would that pull co2? I use that for my Poseidon.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s odd. I thought we used a mix of Kalk in the pellets, how would that pull co2? I use that for my Poseidon.
Now I’m confused, lol. What is your Poseidon?
FWIW, if you get to a state where you are dosing enough Kalk to keep up with a high rate of Alkalinity consumption, CO2 scrubbers are probably not required.
Note, pretty sure CO2 scrubber media is basically Kalk + sodium hydroxide ((maybe a little potassium hydroxide) if used as a rebreather, anaesthetic doodah.)

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Now I’m confused, lol. What is your Poseidon?
FWIW, if you get to a state where you are dosing enough Kalk to keep up with a high rate of Alkalinity consumption, CO2 scrubbers are probably not required.
Note, pretty sure CO2 scrubber media is basically Kalk + sodium hydroxide ((maybe a little potassium hydroxide) if used as a rebreather, anaesthetic doodah.)

OP
OP
M

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a normal CO2 scrubber nowadays. My pH is went from 8 to 8.3 and with my reef zlments ph plus my pH is about 8.6 sometimes higher it is very stable

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a normal CO2 scrubber nowadays. My pH is went from 8 to 8.3 and with my reef zlments ph plus my pH is about 8.6 sometimes higher it is very stable
What’s your alk at when your ph is north of 8.5? Can’t imagine ph naturally running that high without those ph boosting additions to hold it there?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not understanding your comment, and this whole thread seems to have gone off the rails in confusion. lol

If you mean a CO2 scrubber, that material uses soda lime, which is a combination of sodium hydroxide and calcium oxide.

It binds CO2 as calcium carbonate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back