CO2 scrubber vs recirculating CO2 scrubber

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone is getting ozone and co2 scrubbers mixed up? Anyway - I ran a recirculation scrubber for a little bit, but ended up just running a line outside for my skimmer. By far the easiest option.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not understanding your comment, and this whole thread seems to have gone off the rails in confusion. lol

If you mean a CO2 scrubber, that material uses soda lime, which is a combination of sodium hydroxide and calcium oxide.

It binds CO2 as calcium carbonate.

I prove all too well that when you multitask, you basically suck even worse at everything, not just one thing... :)

I thought the pellets that were in the CO2 scrubbers were "sort of" like Kalk. I thought I read that somewhere.

I was posting about the picture he posted desiccant, that is what I use in the dryer for my ozone. I have never heard of someone putting those in a CO2 scrubber.

Sorry for any confusion. Since this thread is already off the rails, I just wanted to say thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley . The content you make available is super helpful. I had an accident Saturday night where my doser got turned on and dumped 200ML of soda ash in my tank while the PH had been holding at 8.55 for a while. Instead of posting a 911 thread, I was able to research your past commentary. Vinegar brought my PH down from near SpaceX levels (8.9, was only in that atmosphere for 20 minutes) down to 8.6, where I was able to do a big water change. The funny thing about this is, I us IO salt. I had just made 50G as I was 60 minutes from doing a water change when all this happened (perfect timing). So, temp and SG were spot on, so I just did like a 75% change. When my PH was approaching 8.8, I ran an alk test with my trident. I did 2 things I later read you said not to do 1 is a water change, the other check alk, lol. The water I put in the tank from the fresh salt mix was actually higher than the results of the test I had taken. I run at 8.3, apparently this salt mixed near 11DKH and the Trident told me I was at 10.5 after the 200ML accident. Shaking my head, thanks for all you do. Now I will hand this hijacked aircraft back to you guys. Happy Reefing!

OP
OP
M

morrisDR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your alk at when your ph is north of 8.5? Can’t imagine ph naturally running that high without those ph boosting additions to hold it there?
My alk sits at 9.3 because my kh consumption is higher at that level. If I would put it back at 8 than my kh consumption is lower meaning I have to dose less phplus meaning I have a lower pH. I haven't noticed more uptake when bringing it up to 11. I do not see less colors with a higher alk but I guess thats because nutrients should be a little higher with a higher alk. Sadly my pH now is 8 because my CO2 scrubber is off and my corals aren't taking any tot little kh because I am battling dinos. If you want a high pH always test your NUTRIENTS because my po4 went to 0 resulting in dinoflagellates sadly I even got the toxic version which killed some sps corals...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back