Co2 media got wet and sucked into skimmer

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a recirculating co2 scrubber running, and in between the lid of the skimmer and the scrubber, is a jar that collects water. It works great, but unfortunately it appears my skimmer randomly went nuts, filled the jar, and sucked water down through the media, and then up the tube in the reactor, and down into my skimmer pump. I'm not sure how much, but it did spike my ph by about 0.1.

I corrected the problem, and have it running again, hoping the skimmer will start pulling that stuff out. I also run chemipure blue. I can add another bag of carbon.

What is the damage of this? Should I be doing an emergency water change? My guess is it started happening over the last hour or two.

Thanks

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a 5 gallon water change (my system is roughly 100 gallons accounting for tank and sump - rocks, sand, media, etc). I also added a bag of rox brs carbon. I have the co2 scrubber removed for now, and the skimmer is just sucking in room air. Hoping to lower the PH a bit and let the skimmer run a bit before going to bed to make sure it doesn't overflow again. Gah I hope this is ok.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if ph only climbed 0.1, I think you just barely avoided a bad situation. I think the PH of water that hits that stuff is like 14 or something crazy. Water change more water, open the windows for more gas exchange, up the pumps/ aeration. Just to be safe. And install “catch cup” reactor before the scrubber to let all condensation drop into. 5AD9CDB4-C84D-40E4-9968-E29E3996D498.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo whatever happened here.
I ended up doing 15 total gallons in water changes, added carbon, and stopped dosing. Everything was fine, took a few days for it to fall down to normal ranges. I didn't use a CO2 scrubber for several days, and I also kept my skimmer off for a few hours at a time.

I didn't notice anything chemically related to be a problem.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back