CO2 scrubber AND Ozone together?

CWH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy fellow reefers!

I want to add ozone to my RedSea Reefer 425 - I have a BRS CO2 scrubber canister connected to my NYOS 160. I wanted to add ozone and connect it in series so that it would go between the scrubber and the skimmer.

Air>CO2 scrubber>airdryer>ozone>skimmer

I read some threads that say to use a y-connector and have them join at the connection to the skimmer.

Suggestions or thoughts?

Also - was reading that you need carbon to filter out the ozone. I have 2 bags of chemipure in the cups in the sump but I'm guessing I would need something in addition to that? Just don't know where it would go.

Thanks in advance folks :)
Corey

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no problem running CO2 scrubber air into an air dryer then into an ozone generator, but the dryer wiil be depleted pretty fast if you humidify the air to make the scrubber media last longer.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the ozonizer. However the ozonizer you want to use is best without an air pump. If you are trying to maximize CO2 removal you could tie in the ozone using two Y connectors on input and output. Creates a variable bypass setup while minimizing CO2 entry.

On the carbon… you will want carbon on the escape port on the skimmer. Humans can smell a very small amount of ozone and it will be noticeable without a way to break it down once it cycles through the skimmer.

Do you plan on using an ORP meter for ozone dosing? Most ozonizers I have found produce way too much ozone to use continuously. On my old 180g my ozonizer would run maybe 5 minutes every hour.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not following what the co2 scrubber does.?. Is ther ea benefit to using it with ozone?

I just run air dryer (Ozotech IQ40)to ozone generator (ozotech Posiedon 400) to skimmer. i run carbon on the output of my skimmer in a canister above the skimmer cup.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not following what the co2 scrubber does.?. Is ther ea benefit to using it with ozone?

I just run air dryer (Ozotech IQ40)to ozone generator (ozotech Posiedon 400) to skimmer. i run carbon on the output of my skimmer in a canister above the skimmer cup.

No benefit with ozone. Just pH. They both happen to use the skimmer to deliver the air.

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on the ozonizer. However the ozonizer you want to use is best without an air pump. If you are trying to maximize CO2 removal you could tie in the ozone using two Y connectors on input and output. Creates a variable bypass setup while minimizing CO2 entry.

On the carbon… you will want carbon on the escape port on the skimmer. Humans can smell a very small amount of ozone and it will be noticeable without a way to break it down once it cycles through the skimmer.

Do you plan on using an ORP meter for ozone dosing? Most ozonizers I have found produce way too much ozone to use continuously. On my old 180g my ozonizer would run maybe 5 minutes every hour.
Do you see any issue with a recirculating C02 scrubber and ozone?

I have an Octo Elite 200 INT that has a nozzle for ozone import (One big nozzle for main airline and one small nozzle for ozone).

I want to run the Ozone from a dryer (not circulated) to its own dedicated nozzle. Then the main, larger airline recirculating through the scrubbing media. Do you know if the ozone will affect this media? Maybe run a carbon reactor between the skimmer air export and the scrubber?

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see any issue with a recirculating C02 scrubber and ozone?

I have an Octo Elite 200 INT that has a nozzle for ozone import (One big nozzle for main airline and one small nozzle for ozone).

I want to run the Ozone from a dryer (not circulated) to its own dedicated nozzle. Then the main, larger airline recirculating through the scrubbing media. Do you know if the ozone will affect this media? Maybe run a carbon reactor between the skimmer air export and the scrubber?
The carbon between the skimmer and scrubber would be ideal. There is some suggestion that ozone will be broken down by the soda lime (CO2 media). I believe it’ll be just a trial and error. If it is a small amount of ozone you may not need the carbon. But there is too many variables to calculate what would be needed to effectively breakdown ozone.

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The carbon between the skimmer and scrubber would be ideal. There is some suggestion that ozone will be broken down by the soda lime (CO2 media). I believe it’ll be just a trial and error. If it is a small amount of ozone you may not need the carbon. But there is too many variables to calculate what would be needed to effectively breakdown ozone.
Thank you for the suggestions. I thought I had read somewhere that the soda lime breaks down ozone but, I can't for the life of me find that. Like you said, trail and error. I'll just start off with the bare minimum ozone on the unit and work my way up.

I haven't gotten a unit yet, but was planning on the Poseidon 200.

Thanks again.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote from Randy a few years ago..

IMO, the uncertainty is whether the sodalime will break down ozone. There's a suggestion in the literature of ozone that it might:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7129/9487582dd81c0942f5c52fb33f21556f9978.pdf

Typical of the problems involved in working with ozone, it was necessary to prevent appreciable amounts of ozone from reaching mechanical vacuum pumps, otherwise explosions occurred in the pumps. Tubes containing soda lime were sometimes used to protect various sections of apparatus from ozone;"

Thus the ozone generator would need to be after the sodalime.

The other issue is that sodalime works best with damp air while the ozone generator works best with dry air. Bit of a conundrum there.

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quote from Randy a few years ago..

IMO, the uncertainty is whether the sodalime will break down ozone. There's a suggestion in the literature of ozone that it might:

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/7129/9487582dd81c0942f5c52fb33f21556f9978.pdf

Typical of the problems involved in working with ozone, it was necessary to prevent appreciable amounts of ozone from reaching mechanical vacuum pumps, otherwise explosions occurred in the pumps. Tubes containing soda lime were sometimes used to protect various sections of apparatus from ozone;"

Thus the ozone generator would need to be after the sodalime.

The other issue is that sodalime works best with damp air while the ozone generator works best with dry air. Bit of a conundrum there.

Thank you for the link. The ozone would be running on it's own dedicated line from outside of the stand through an air dryer. That part would not be recirculated. I was worried about the ozone going up through the skimmer and being recirculated through the soda lime. Sounds like the soda lime would help break it down and prevent any from escaping.

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there any problem with this setup?

ozone-c02.png

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So is there any problem with this setup?

ozone-c02.png

In that, or any shared scenario, whereas the skimmer will always be pulling air from the generator, shouldn’t there be a solenoid inline between the skimmer and the generator? This way it could be turned on and off. So that 1) the ozone dryer won’t be depleted when the ozone is not in use but air is being sucked in from the generator to the skimmer 2) it’s not pulling air that doesn’t get pulled through CO2 scrubbing material?

I’m thinking of a similar situation to the above, but am curious to what I stated.

Genetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it setup similar with an inline running through the ozonizer only. It works fine. If the line is too long the amount of air pulled into your skimmer may decrease though. That would be a reason to add a bypass like the above mentioned.

Mkeller088

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it setup similar with an inline running through the ozonizer only. It works fine. If the line is too long the amount of air pulled into your skimmer may decrease though. That would be a reason to add a bypass like the above mentioned.
Isn’t the best solution to run a silencer with 2 ports on top ? I run closed loop on my co2 scrubber to the silencer, and ozone through the dryer media reactor and then also to the silencer. Seems like the simplest solution to me.

Back