Co2 scrubber on small skimmer.

NanoRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m debating on trying to raise my ph up some, after two vacations this year with everyone out of the house my ph rises up and the tank always looks better. I’m in a newer home so I’m pretty sure it’s co2 related, I can’t leave windows open as it’s summer time. How effective are co2 scrubbers on nano’s running small skimmers. I was going to covert one of my reactors into a scrubber to try but wanted to make sure it would actually be beneficial on these little skimmers. tank is a 25 lagoon. Thanks a lot

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I’m debating on trying to raise my ph up some, after two vacations this year with everyone out of the house my ph rises up and the tank always looks better. I’m in a newer home so I’m pretty sure it’s co2 related, I can’t leave windows open as it’s summer time. How effective are co2 scrubbers on nano’s running small skimmers. I was going to covert one of my reactors into a scrubber to try but wanted to make sure it would actually be beneficial on these little skimmers. tank is a 25 lagoon. Thanks a lot
IMO it would be better for you and your tank if you dealt with the underlying cause of the problem ... ambient CO2.

As a first step I would suggest that you get a CO2 monitor. Continuous monitoring should be a part of your testing regime.

OP
OP
N

NanoRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do monitor the ph and can constantly watch it change and hold steady as everyone is out of the home for the week and go right back to the same when everyone is back(4 humans and dogs). CO2 in The home is the only change. im not chasing numbers, but the tank looks much happier on return each and every time. im not adding kalk as I dose and my numbers are Steady.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So CO2 scrubbing can help. However, it competes with the aeration from powerheads and return pumps. So a small skimmer with CO2 scrubber may have little impact.

OP
OP
N

NanoRyan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So CO2 scrubbing can help. However, it competes with the aeration from powerheads and return pumps. So a small skimmer with CO2 scrubber may have little impact.
That’s what I was trying to figure out. I have a lot of flow in the tank, and with the little bit of pull the skimmer has would it be worthwhile

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was trying to figure out. I have a lot of flow in the tank, and with the little bit of pull the skimmer has would it be worthwhile
I'm guessing you would have to test it or calculate the effective aeration of your powerheads, return pump, and Skimmer.

For my tank, I found a 3x oversized skimmer worked for my nerds.

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do power heads and return pumps change the CO2 when they are functioning in a closed system without pulling in any outside or room air

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really dont think it will help much.

You need to deal with the in house CO2, perhaps run the air to the skimmer from outside.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my tank in the basment and i installed a vent fan to push air out side and it help . i also have a co2 scrubber and it help my tank a lot with out it am 8 and with it 8.27 on the high side

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back