Co2 Scrubber working "Too Good"

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've had my co2 scrubber for about a month now, and it is working amazingly, my issue is it seems to be a bit...unpredictable. Sometimes I get a few days that are "perfect" and other times I get results like last night, where I wake up and my PH is over 8.34 (see picture below). I do have a solenoid which opens when it gets to about 8.29 to try and keep me around 8.30. My only other thought is program my skimmer to shut off if it gets to high and turn back on if it gets too low. Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

Scrubber.png

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's possible? I think Y connections are what pretty much everyone uses though.
The strong suction of the air being pulled into the skimmer is taking most of the air from the outside but some of the air through the CO2 scrubber.

Dude60415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe switch to a ball valve. From what I've tested with motorized ball valves is that when they are closed they are dang near 100% sealed. Also only when they open and close they draw power. Once rested in whichever position they are in they are off and draw no power vs the solenoid constantly pulling power to stay open or closed depending on what its natural state is.

Now since air travels the path of least resistance if any is getting past the valve from the scrubber it would be very minimal.

Last edited:

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d you get tube inside top of skimmer cup? Did you need to make hole in skimmer top bigger to fit tube?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've had my co2 scrubber for about a month now, and it is working amazingly, my issue is it seems to be a bit...unpredictable. Sometimes I get a few days that are "perfect" and other times I get results like last night, where I wake up and my PH is over 8.34 (see picture below). I do have a solenoid which opens when it gets to about 8.29 to try and keep me around 8.30. My only other thought is program my skimmer to shut off if it gets to high and turn back on if it gets too low. Does anyone have any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

Scrubber.png

Unless the pH gets over 8.55, I do not consider that there is any concern from high pH.

That said, IMO, recirculating may save money but is a poor practice as it gives up any aspects of aeration except CO2 (such as O2).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back