Coarse and Wiry Green Algae

autogolazzojr

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have been struggling with this algae for a while in both my 5g (1 year old) and my 28g (5 months old). My nutrients have bottomed out due to this algae. While it does keep my 5G stable due to lack of high phosphates/nitrates, I would still like to see my corals grow. A turbo snail initially controlled this algae in the 5G, but it has since seemed to stop eating much of it. Reef flux had no effect (it wiped out my bubble algae, so I am fairly certain I dosed correctly). What is this algae, and how can I control it?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.



IMG_4093[1].jpg

IMG_4097[1].jpg
 
Might be a turf algae which is hard to eradicate. Pitho or Emerald might eat it. You can try covering spots with underwater epoxy.
 
I can't ID it, but you might try spot treating with strong hydrogen peroxide (h202) as per:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-cure-spot-treating-algae-with-peroxide.359887/

As for your corals, the ultra low nutrients are killing the deal.

Reduce filtration to just your protein skimmer and live rock and see if that helps things recover to normal levels.

For immediate relief to corals, you can consider dosing phosphates to a target level something liek ≥0.10 ppm until things normalize.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new