Cobalt C-VUE 45g Filtration Modifications

Krizz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Although I just created an account, I come here often for advice from you guys so thank you for that. I have a 45g cobalt c vue that is pretty much stock. I use the 2 filtration socks for the first compartments, the next two compartments are filled to the top with very porous bio cubes, and a heater in the remaining space which is the return pump area. I've had this tank a little over two years and have started putting corals in it.

Bio load thus far is: 2 clownfish, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 twin spotted goby, 1 blenny, 1 cleaner shrimp, 3-4 hermits, 2 big snails (forgot their species), 1 purple sea urchin, 2 emerald crabs, 2 small conchs, 1 rock flower nem, 1 green fuzzy mushroom, pulsing xenia, 1 neon green birds nest, and 1 blue polyp/ yellow branch birds nest.

Since adding corals, I have pretty much
been able to keep water parameters where I need them by doing 15g water changes every two weeks. I feed my fish twice a day, adding the food slowly to the tank adding more as they eat to limit the amount of wasted food that leads to unwanted nutrients in the water. I spot feed the mushroom and both birds nest corals 2x a week, thus limiting the amount of unwanted added nutrients in the water. But even with all this I do notice spikes every now and then, which I don't want now that I'm adding corals.

So I have come here to ask my fellow reefers for some advice! Is there anyone here that as the same tank as me? and if so what modifications have you made in your chambers to help with more stable filtration? Even if you don't have the same tank but have an AIO system, I'm open to any ideas that has worked for you. with that being said, I also want to say I know implementing a sump would help a lot but I'm not in a position to buy a bunch of equipment for that as I'm leaving for the Army Guard soon and will be going to fire school right after. Just looking for ways I can better my system that's cost efficient but also effective.

Thanks for reading! I'm open to anything so don't be shy!
Green birds nest.jpg
Blue polyp birds nest.jpg

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe?

Oh and howdy welcome

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back