Cody's 80

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summary:
This is my first custom build, transitioning from a 46G bowfront. Many more pictures and details to come. Almost all of this build was a first time experience, I would do some things differently, but that's all part of the learning process! This build has taken me about 8 months to complete as i've researched and completed the majority of the work myself. I built the stand, put new seals in the tank, drilled the tank, designed and crafted the sump, built the conduit light posts, did all the plumbing and electrical.

Stand
The stand was originally built for a 120, which explains the extra space behind the current tank. I found this tank on craigslist for $60; which is why i re-did the seals. I will eventually replace the 80 with a 120. The canopy design changed over time. I initially built a large canopy to house the light fixture, I soon found this to be a total pain and decided to suspend the light instead with conduit.

Tank

- 80G
- 4'
- Reef Savvy Ghost Overflow
- Dual Returns

Sump
- 30G
- Dual Filter Sock

Equipment
- Skimmer: Skimz Monster SM163 DC Internal
- Carbon/GFO Reactor: BRS Dual with MJ1200 pump
- Biopellet Reactor: Reef Octopus 90EXT HOB
- Return Pump: Jebao DC
- Controller: Reef Keeper Lite
- Heater: 300W Finnex Deluxe Titanium Heating Tube
- Light: ATI Sunpower 6 Bulb T5

Current Status
The tank is currently testing with fresh water. In a few weeks, I will break it down, move it into place, and remove all the live stock from my 46G bow front and use it to stock this new 80G .

Tank:
12507334_10207777628656786_1314463158942974995_n_zpsv8eianxe.jpg

Plumbing
Plumb2_zps6vaulx6n.jpg

Sump
Sump7_zpsj7cahnvs.jpg

BowFront
(12-12-2015)
BowFront_zps5s8olmjc.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job! Looking good!

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Build

Yes, I could park my jeep on this stand. It was way over kill, I would slim it down and use 2x4's if i could rebuild it. Being it was my first stand build, I was very worried the stand was going to break, later realizing its more than equipped!
Stand1_zpsnuuww9ib.jpg

Stand2_zpssmvh5sfj.jpg

Stand4_zpsac2ihutr.jpg

Realized that a 55 wasn't going to be a good enough temporary tank until I got my 120 rimless. At this point I decided to go with the 80
Tank1_zpstjaxho5a.jpg

Frame is complete, starting the finishing boards
Stand5_zps1z9cnjkw.jpg

Stand6_zpsq3ekfgeq.jpg

Stand7_zpswpu1ik1a.jpg

I decided to go with magnetic access panels on all three sides vs hinges. Hinged doors are a pain. I wanted something I could remove completely and get out of the way. Three access points also helps me get into the sump and perform maintenance.
Stand8_zpscjgvuqdt.jpg

Stand10_zpsevuk3ldt.jpg

Stand11_zpsolahsawc.jpg

I used 1 inch firm insulation from my local hardware store and topped it with neoprene foam for the tank.
Stand9_zpsq4vxrk1h.jpg

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump Build

For the sump, i started by researching sump design. I decided on dual filter socks, equipment chamber for bio pellet reactor and protein skimmer, and a small refugium, primarily for additional live rock filtration, a place to grow pods, etc. I started with cardboard panels to nail down the design then had the acrylic pre cut.
Sump1_zps4vy3qwkr.jpg

Used painters tape and a small square to position each panel.
Sump2_zpsnzyvv1zi.jpg

Sump3_zpsgelvt2vn.jpg

Completed, water testing
Sump4_zpseygodcgn.jpg

Used a hole saw to cut spaces for my filter socks
Sump5_zpsnfotzlpb.jpg

Sump6_zps0ytmoic2.jpg

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing

My main focal point was ease of ability to tear down the system and move it if need be. I also wanted to incorporate fail safes for power outages, blockages, etc.
Plumb1_zps9r5p8htg.jpg

Ghost Overflow by Reef Savvy with dual 3/4 returns
Tank2_zpsjdwoe4z5.jpg

Main Drain lines into the sump
Plumb3_zps07qipbbd.jpg

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Prep

The back draw of buying a $60 tank off craigslist is redoing the seals and cleaning the heck out of it... I used painters tape as guides for my silicone seals, this also helped create a clean finish.
Tank3_zpsbu4mmzgs.jpg

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light

I initially created a large canopy for this build. One, because it looked nice, but also because I went with a 6 bulb ATI T5 fixture with no suspension kit and thought this was the easiest way to use the fixture. When I finally started prepping the tank to fill, the canopy quickly became a total hassle which opened the window for the conduit brackets. They're much cleaner and I now have the ability to control how high the light sits off the water.
Light1_zpsgtbr1cos.jpg

Light3_zpsmzheysik.jpg

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank Build

Yes, I could park my jeep on this stand. It was way over kill, I would slim it down and use 2x4's if i could rebuild it. Being it was my first stand build, I was very worried the stand was going to break, later realizing its more than equipped!
Stand1_zpsnuuww9ib.jpg

Stand2_zpssmvh5sfj.jpg

Stand4_zpsac2ihutr.jpg

Realized that a 55 wasn't going to be a good enough temporary tank until I got my 120 rimless. At this point I decided to go with the 80
Tank1_zpstjaxho5a.jpg

Frame is complete, starting the finishing boards
Stand5_zps1z9cnjkw.jpg

Stand6_zpsq3ekfgeq.jpg

Stand7_zpswpu1ik1a.jpg

I decided to go with magnetic access panels on all three sides vs hinges. Hinged doors are a pain. I wanted something I could remove completely and get out of the way. Three access points also helps me get into the sump and perform maintenance.
Stand8_zpscjgvuqdt.jpg

Stand10_zpsevuk3ldt.jpg

Stand11_zpsolahsawc.jpg

I used 1 inch firm insulation from my local hardware store and topped it with neoprene foam for the tank.
Stand9_zpsq4vxrk1h.jpg
I really like your magnetic panels idea! My doors are always in the way. Especially during my water change.

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was delaying setting up this build, but unfortunately the seals on the bow front started to go. So here's the process of of tank change, enjoy!

Seals Leaking:
IMG_2489_zpsckhhhynt.jpg

Before the tear down:
IMG_2490_zpstone7v8r.jpg

Removing Rock/Coral/Livestock:
IMG_2493_zpslsa9poqk.jpg

Strange find:
IMG_2502_zpsfphfmdaq.jpg

All Coral & Fish:
IMG_2514_zpsszixkgbf.jpg

Draining the tank:
IMG_2504_zpskheaoc4b.jpg

Equipment Gone:
IMG_2506_zpsp5xpvmvs.jpg

New Tank in Place:
IMG_2508_zps9hopzazi.jpg

Getting Sandy:
IMG_2507_zpsecqps1tn.jpg

Filling:
IMG_2510_zpsugivpeuj.jpg

Setting up New Equipment:
IMG_2521_zpsbvfvfd5x.jpg

Water Clearing up, Preparing to Aquascape:
IMG_2519_zpsy2z5odqw.jpg

Side View:
IMG_2524_zpswjj9lu88.jpg

Close up of the Aquascape:
(I need more rock) :p
IMG_2537_zps27jgnuo5.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! That's one of my fears, that and glass cracking, stand failing, or one of the glass sides letting go. I love this hobby, but it's also scary......

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! That's one of my fears, that and glass cracking, stand failing, or one of the glass sides letting go. I love this hobby, but it's also scary......

How bout it. I didn't have an ATO on the bow front, just manually added fresh RODI, so I originally thought I just spilled water. When I kept finding water and more of it, I knew I had an issue. I think the bow front tank is from the 90s early 2000s; not sure how long bow front seals last, but i've heard they're prone to giving out.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that happen man, I'll subscribe to this thread and see where it goes:) what's your plans as of now?

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that happen man, I'll subscribe to this thread and see where it goes:) what's your plans as of now?

The tank I moved everything into is the actual setup i was preparing to use, so this just expedited the swap. Bow front is gone, 80 is up. Now i've got much more room, praying i did a good job on the build haha, and stocking it with all the extra room i have.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh haha, I just saw the leak and went straight to typing lol. My attention to detail is awful

OP
OP
CodyRVA

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after water testing my seals on this tank for a month, and holding strong for 2 weeks after setup, I came home one day and my worst nightmare, the seals were leaking. My only guess is that I didn't redo the silicone on the outside bottom pane of glass. Guessing the weight of the rock and sand eventually did the job...

Here's the tank drained, the seal broke in the back, bottom, middle, so most of the water leaked out behind the stand.
IMG_2558_zpsmcm1gw8q.jpg

Moved all my livestock in to a 40 breeder
IMG_2556_zpsi1v8u8rh.jpg

Decided to go with a new tank entirely, i'll work on my tank sealing skills another day... The replacement: 48 X 24 X 16
IMG_2587_zpsf7qp45wg.jpg

Local reefer helped me drill it, attached the Reef Savvy ghost overflow & returns
IMG_2599_zpsguz7m7jl.jpg

I had to modify the plumbing a bit, the old tank was only 18 inches deep, this one fit the entire depth of the stand. Now it has less 90 degree bends and the over flow is even quieter than before
IMG_2602_zpsdndmchzg.jpg

Taping off to paint. Decided to go with Rustoleum Royal Blue vs the flat black i had before
IMG_2604_zpss733gqtd.jpg

Couldn't ask for a better time for upgrades... picked this trick up from the same local reefer; pond liner in the base of the stand for water collection. Stapled around the top of the liner, covered stapes with silicon
IMG_2605_zpsbs8p86vk.jpg

Light hung, glass painted, hooked up all the equipment, ready for water
IMG_2606_zpshayszwa3.jpg

First stab at aquascaping this tank; i'm sure this is going to change...
IMG_2617_zpsampwzovw.jpg

Frag style tank offers interesting views
IMG_2616_zpsmcwoettq.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back