Combine Red Sea Foundation?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Background: My system only seems to be using alkalinity, a small amount of magnesium and a token amount of calcium. I only have a 2-head dosing setup, so I was wondering if I can combine a small amount of the Red Sea Foundation A (Calcium) with the Red Sea Foundation C (Magnesium). This would be the 1L liquid supplement. According to Red sea’s website I can combine Foundation AC, but I’m not sure if they’re referring to the powder or if this is accurate (Red sea has yet to respond). I can always dose calcium manually, so it’s not a huge issue (just wondering if I could eliminate that step). Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The use of MG should be small in comparison to Alk and CA.
Example I dose 50ml alk and 50ml CA daily but only 10ml MG.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Just that i’m using more magnesium than calcium at present, so I’d just be dosing the calcium by hand (unless of course I can combine it with the magnesium).

I'm not sure what Red Sea puts in these exactly, but my DIY two part cannot combine the calcium and magnesium parts, and in general, if a company sells them separately, there's a reason.

FWIW, I'm certain that the actual consumption of magnesium is not more than about 1/10th of the calcium consumption. perhaps there are measurement issues, salt mix issues, or additive issues, but not imbalanced consumption.

Back