Combining Power blocks?

mooshoo62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to combine 24v power for both of my XR15's? I could have sworn seeing that there was a mod with the APEX that supported this.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to combine 24v power for both of my XR15's? I could have sworn seeing that there was a mod with the APEX that supported this.
What kind of current are you talking? The Kraken can support up to 8 amps per port and a combined total of 20 amps. There are 8 24v ports and it also has 4 12v ports that can provide up to 2.5 amps each or a combined current of 4 amps on those 4 ports. All ports can be switch on and off depending on programming. If you add a 12v lead acid gel cell it it will provide 12v power on the 24v if you set it up to do that. There are some 24v pumps that will run on 12v at a lower flow rate. The ports use GX12 type connectors but they do sell cables that go from that to the 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector. That may be more that you would want to spend to do this unless you have other devices that run on 24v DC you could also power with it. Below is what it replaced on my system.

IMG_9195.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mooshoo62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of current are you talking? The Kraken can support up to 8 amps per port and a combined total of 20 amps. There are 8 24v ports and it also has 4 12v ports that can provide up to 2.5 amps each or a combined current of 4 amps on those 4 ports. All ports can be switch on and off depending on programming. If you add a 12v lead acid gel cell it it will provide 12v power on the 24v if you set it up to do that. There are some 24v pumps that will run on 12v at a lower flow rate. The ports use GX12 type connectors but they do sell cables that go from that to the 5.5x2.1mm barrel connector. That may be more that you would want to spend to do this unless you have other devices that run on 24v DC you could also power with it. Below is what it replaced on my system.

IMG_9195.jpeg
Thanks. Looking for solutions that work on the APEX. I am not interested in getting another Controller.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Looking for solutions that work on the APEX. I am not interested in getting another Controller.
It is just an output only controller since it has no inputs but you can access it anywhere you have internet access once setup so you can turn on and off individual outputs using overrides from off, auto or on. You can set time schedules without inputs if you want outputs on during certain times. But if you can do the same somehow with the Apex that may be a better fit for you. You can setup a low power mode on it since that is sensed by the 24v power dropping to 12v. So it will automatically enter that mode if you set it when running on battery power. You can also set which outputs will be still be active in that mode. Not sure if you have a backup on the Apex but if you use a UPS you could always power a relay with one of the 12v drive ports to let the Apex know there is no power using an input on the Apex. When I first got into the Hydros I had a Archon system and I sent signals between the new Hydros and the Archon using relays on outputs of one and the relay contacts on a input of the other. So simple integration can be accomplished between them if both have the spare inputs and outputs for it. That would be more of a DIY setup though. Hopefully someone has done what you are trying on the Apex and will post here.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back