Coming soon….

jimfish98

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2020
Messages
414
Reaction score
425
Location
Orlando Metro
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My metal jump guard is looking bad and it is time for an update. Acrylic look nice for a bit but are pricey and heavy. Another metal one will still eventually look bad. I decided to design my own. Inside and outside corners, T connectors and center bar as dual spline. Used the slicer to make all of my connecting bars in various lengths. Just waiting on net from BRS. May remove the center bar and make it a 2 lid top so I don’t have to always take the whole thing off. Added some connectors as well with holes for my Nero wires.

Once it’s on the tank I may amend a corner for a feeding area and add and insert to hold food until it starts to sink so the skimmer doesn’t take it in. May consider a mount for my auto feeder as well come vacation time. So far under 1 roll of PETG that cost me under $10. Once it’s all finalized it goes online free and I will post a link for anyone wanting the file.
IMG_8013.jpeg

IMG_8001.jpeg
IMG_7993.jpeg




IMG_7992.jpeg

IMG_7996.jpeg

IMG_7994.jpeg
 
Right on, that close to being under the lights I would have been using ASA plastic. Even petg can take a beating from UV. But who knows. Maybe it'll last 10 years.
 
ASA would be ideal, but unfortunately going into the engineering filaments more is beyond some folks printer budget. I think PETG at 3-5 years life isn't too bad. My guess is some hot spots similar to the par map of the tank will show where it will fail first. Personally going low par on mine so hoping to get a bit more.
 
I'm getting ASA for 20 bucks.

That said, petg will get some life. I'm surprised you're having issues with the aluminum.
 
Salt creep got into the joints and has been pushing them apart slowly. I clean it but it seems to come back faster. The only way to really be hands off long term is to take off the screen and wash it all very well with fresh water, but for that I have to redo the screen and that gets old. I think the connectors on mine have a groove that lets that creep get in. Started to see the coating peel back as well.

Design wise the lack of slots for the Nero wires means it never sits flat either.
IMG_8016.png
 
I'm getting ASA for 20 bucks.

That said, petg will get some life. I'm surprised you're having issues with the aluminum.
It’s not the filament cost, it’s the printer cost. I can print some very basic prints with ASA on my open bed printer, but ASA prints better in an enclosure and those enclosure units typically are where the price jump is.
 
It’s not the filament cost, it’s the printer cost. I can print some very basic prints with ASA on my open bed printer, but ASA prints better in an enclosure and those enclosure units typically are where the price jump is.
Yeah, I guess I shouldn't assume. There are still a lot of bedslingers out there.

I'm sure you'll be fine with the petg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new