Coming soon: affordable ozone reactor!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is included with the kit, even the media. The 24 hour wait period is just a precautionary measure to make sure there are no leaks in your plumbing system before starting the ozone dosing.

It is hard to give a precise answer to the dino problem since I cannot find any reliable scientific data on the matter. I can tell you that ozone will reduce the available nutrient load which will help control the problem and that the internal reactor ORP runs at about 600mv which is high enough to kill most free floating algae. I have read many forum post about ozone helping with a dino problem but real documentation is sparse. If you find any research on the subject please post it here, I would love to read it.

I wouldn't say ORP probes are not durable or reliable. They can be tough to calibrate, especially with the Neptune system. A new orp probe should provide reliable readings for about 2 years and never need calibration though. Reference solutions are available to check the probes accuracy if your in doubt of the readings. I will say that it takes about 2 weeks for an ORP probe to fully acclimate to your tank water before it starts producing an accurate reading.

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work with gravity feed from the overflow?

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We suggest a top down water direction for the best ozone scrubbing potential."

What do you mean by this? ON the MR5, is it the usual through the middle tubing then out the top, or the other way around?

reefervet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the normal flow is from bottom up, thereby allowing the media to tumble (i.e. GFO or biopellets). In this case you just want the water to trickle from top down. Basically just reverse the input and output.

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work with gravity feed from the overflow?

It depends. If your overflow is capable of producing 3psi or more then it will. On paper 1.000 specific gravity water at 62 degrees would be required to be about 8 feet above the reactor. Obviously there are variables. I would think it is worth a shot, but have a back up plan :)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We suggest a top down water direction for the best ozone scrubbing potential."

What do you mean by this? ON the MR5, is it the usual through the middle tubing then out the top, or the other way around?

refervet had the correct explanation. Mr5 typically flows in the center and out the side. For carbon post filter, reverse this orientation.

bevo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok new to ozone but trying to learn and decide if I want one or not. This sounds pretty good but how am I suppose to know if I need a dryer or not? If I do, do ya'll recommend one or size or whatever?

Thanks
Mike

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, it is best to follow recommendations of the manufacture of the ozone generator. Personally, I use a larger size generator with no dryer, knowing that while I may only get 50%-75% of the rated output, I avoid the associated maintenance (not hard to recharge beads, I am just lazy about these types of things). If I would suggest one, it would be the RO canister type that Bulk Reef Supply sells, it would not be too hard to DIY a similar unit either. If I I had my hands tied and had to make a blanket recommendation, I would suggest a Clearwater Tech adjustable unit rated slightly more than the size you need, with no air dryer. If you feel you need a little more umph, then add a drier to the setup.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back