Super Saturated Small Media Bed Reactor Theory

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is to study the effects of operating a super saturated small media bed CaRx (S3MBR) using the super saturation of CO2. The premise is that a S3MBR should be able to to achieve performance equal to, or exceed the performance of traditional larger CaRx reactors that rely on media volumes to determine their supplementation limits.

Theory

Traditionally calcium reactors (CaRx) have relied on the media bed volume to dictate the amount of supplementation a given reactor is able to provide. As such the larger the tank, the larger the CaRx required, and the higher the cost of the CaRx. I am proposing that it is possible to provide for variable supplementation needs, from small tanks to monster tanks, using a small fixed media bed size, and scale the performance of the CaRx using the level of super saturation of CO2 within the reactor water column to determine the supplementation limit of the CaRx.

Background

I am going to leverage some automotive analogies to explain how the S3MBR method of operation differs from traditional CaRx systems.

The Carbureted Age

Legacy CaRx typically rely on bubble counters, needle valves, and pH controllers to meter the flow of CO2 into and out of the CaRx. In automotive terms, this is like an engine that uses a naturally aspirated carburetor. Both the CaRx and automotive versions have a reputation of being fiddly, hard to tune correctly, and with the possibility of running poorly when not tuned correctly. Small cars required small displacement engines, larger cars required larger displacement engines, and muscle cars had their hulking, big block V8's. The same holds true for tanks. Small tanks used a CaRx with a modest media volume, larger tanks would double or quadruple the media volumes (2 - 4x), and monster tanks would have a CaRx with a massive media volume.

In these systems, the speed of CO2 being bubbled into the CaRx drives the operation of the reactor. Care must be taken to administer CO2 in a steady and stable fashion to keep the CaRx operating stable and efficiently.

The Fuel Injection Age

The next development of CaRx systems was the use of saturation style reactors that used the amount of CO2 that could dissolve into the water column of the reactor at atmospheric pressure. The DaStaCo line of CaRx's was one of the first to use this type of operation. In automotive terms, this equals the appearance of fuel injection. No longer do we need to rely on the carburetor to add fuel to get us close to the most efficient operation, we can add a surplus of fuel, and the engine itself regulates the exact amount of fuel required for optimal efficiency.

By keeping a surplus reservoir of CO2 within the reactor, the water column dissolves CO2 as needed to achieve saturation. This keeps the CaRx operating efficiently and removes the need to tune the CO2 additions. The supplementation level is determined by the flow through the reactor and again the limit is proportioanl to the size of the media bed.

Like car engine displacement, these reactors rely on growing the media bed size (and cost), to achieve high supplementation limits.

The Turbo Age

In automotive technology, with the introduction of forced induction engines, like turbo charging, the displacement of the engine was no longer the main factor in determining it's operating limit. By scaling the level of forced induction, a small displacement volume engine could provide the performance of a large displacement volume engine.

The S3MBR is a type of CaRx that uses the super saturation of Co2 in the water column as the means to turbo charge the supplementation limits and to control the operation of the reactor. To achieve higher supplementation limits, higher CO2 saturation is leveraged. This is achieved by operating the reactor using variable pressure, under the control of a pressure sensor.

History

The control methodology for operating a CaRx under super saturation has already been developed and is operating my ACR, saturation mode / "Fuel Injected" CaRx. See Automatic Calcium Reactor Controller (ACR)

A new CaRx is being planned that will have a modest media volume (4.5" x 10") and is a derivative of my DIY CaRx design. See DIY (Schuran) Jetstream stlye automatic Calcium Reactor

The Plan

The first step will be to construct an example S3MBR. I plan to use (2) 4.5" x 10" RODI canisters as the media chamber and secondary chamber. The basic layout will be similar to the smaller mock up version that was posted into the DIY thread. This version will be larger than the mock-up, and will feature a powered secondary chamber. Meaning it will use it's own circulation pump to re-circulate the effluent within the canister, to help strip surplus CO2 from the effluent. This will be our catalytic converter to keep green house gases (CO2) from making it into the environment (tank). :D

To help transform an RODI canister into a CaRx, custom 3D printed parts will be leveraged. All other parts will be off the shelf PVC parts. Sicce pumps will be tasked with providing circulation for both media chambers.

Both Kamoer and Masterflex pumps will be tested. Masterflex tubing (LS16) is limited to 25 psi. Kamoer pressure limits are unknown at this point.

The biggest risk, in my view, is constructing the example S3MBR so that it functions successfully and is able to withstand the elevated pressures. The inclusion of a venturi will require the suspended air bubbles to be stripped from the circulation pumps water intake before entering the pump. The sizing of the chamber intended to do this, or the flow rate of the circulation pump may need to be adjusted during the prototype phase. The Sicce pump on the main media chamber will need to be reinforced with a 3D part to strengthen the volute, both for mechanical durability, and for operating at elevated pressures.

I have the canisters ordered and am expecting their arrival next week.

The Test Methodology

The system will be tested under a fixed flow rate (8 ml/min) and the effluent will be tested under increasing pressures. The plan is to test from 5 psi up to (hopefully) 25 psi. According to Henry's Law, this should provide for up to 1.7 times the amount of CO2 saturation within the water column. How far along this will get us in our quest for high levels of supplementation, is what this research is trying to answer.

As the pressure limits are raised, the system will be allowed to settle for a day, then the reactor will be purged so fresh CO2 is added, and the reading will be taken the following day. The test will measure the dKH of the (diluted) effluent.

I will be using the waste from my daily AWC (8 ml/min) as the source of the feed water. I will have to think about how to dispose of the effluent safely without risking a ton of precipitation inside my drains.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is to study the effects of operating a super saturated small media bed CaRx (S3MBR) using the super saturation of CO2. The premise is that a S3MBR should be able to to achieve performance equal to, or exceed the performance of traditional larger CaRx reactors that rely on media volumes to determine their supplementation limits.

Theory

Traditionally calcium reactors (CaRx) have relied on the media bed volume to dictate the amount of supplementation a given reactor is able to provide. As such the larger the tank, the larger the CaRx required, and the higher the cost of the CaRx. I am proposing that it is possible to provide for variable supplementation needs, from small tanks to monster tanks, using a small fixed media bed size, and scale the performance of the CaRx using the level of super saturation of CO2 within the reactor water column to determine the supplementation limit of the CaRx.

Background

I am going to leverage some automotive analogies to explain how the S3MBR method of operation differs from traditional CaRx systems.

The Carbureted Age

Legacy CaRx typically rely on bubble counters, needle valves, and pH controllers to meter the flow of CO2 into and out of the CaRx. In automotive terms, this is like an engine that uses a naturally aspirated carburetor. Both the CaRx and automotive versions have a reputation of being fiddly, hard to tune correctly, and with the possibility of running poorly when not tuned correctly. Small cars required small displacement engines, larger cars required larger displacement engines, and muscle cars had their hulking, big block V8's. The same holds true for tanks. Small tanks used a CaRx with a modest media volume, larger tanks would double or quadruple the media volumes (2 - 4x), and monster tanks would have a CaRx with a massive media volume.

In these systems, the speed of CO2 being bubbled into the CaRx drives the operation of the reactor. Care must be taken to administer CO2 in a steady and stable fashion to keep the CaRx operating stable and efficiently.

The Fuel Injection Age

The next development of CaRx systems was the use of saturation style reactors that used the amount of CO2 that could dissolve into the water column of the reactor at atmospheric pressure. The DaStaCo line of CaRx's was one of the first to use this type of operation. In automotive terms, this equals the appearance of fuel injection. No longer do we need to rely on the carburetor to add fuel to get us close to the most efficient operation, we can a surplus of fuel, and the engine itself regulates the exact amount of fuel required for optimal efficiency.

By keeping a surplus reservoir of CO2 within the reactor, the water column dissolves CO2 as needed to achieve saturation. This keeps the CaRx operating efficiently and removes the need to tune the CO2 additions. The supplementation level is determined by the flow through the reactor and the limit by the size of the media bed.

Like car engine displacement, these reactors rely on growing the media bed size (and cost), to achieve high supplementation limits.

The Turbo Age

In automotive technology, with the introduction of forced induction engines, like turbo charging, the displacement of the engine was no longer the main factor in determining it's operating limit. By scaling the level of forced induction, a small displacement volume engine could provide the performance of a large displacement volume engine.

The S3MBR is a type of CaRx that uses the super saturation of Co2 in the water column as the means to turbo charge the supplementation limits and to control the operation of the reactor. To achieve higher supplementation limits, higher CO2 saturation is leveraged. This is achieved by operating the reactor using variable pressure, under the control of a pressure sensor.

History

The control methodology for operating a CaRx under super saturation has already been developed and is operating my FI aged CaRx. See Automatic Calcium Reactor Controller (ACR)

A new CaRx is being planned that will have a modest media volume (4.5" x 10") and is a derivative of my DIY CaRx design. See DIY (Schuran) Jetstream stlye automatic Calcium Reactor

The Plan

The first step will be to construct an example S3MBR. I plan to use (2) 4.5" x 10" RODI canisters as the media chamber and secondary chamber. The basic layout will be similar to the smaller mock up version that was posted into the DIY thread. This version will be larger than the mock-up, and will feature a powered secondary chamber. Meaning it will use it's own circulation pump to re-circulate the effluent within the canister, to help strip surplus CO2 from the effluent. This will be our catalytic converter to keep green house gases (CO2) from making it into the environment (tank). :D

To help transform an RODI canister into a CaRx, custom 3D printed parts will be leveraged. All other parts will be off the shelf PVC parts. Sicce pumps will be tasked with providing circulation for both media chambers.

Both Kamoer and Masterflex pumps will be tested. Masterflex tubing (LS16) is limited to 25 psi. Kamoer pressure limits are unknown at this point.

The biggest risk, in my view, is constructing the example S3MBR so that it functions successfully and is able to withstand the elevated pressures. The inclusion of a venturi will require the suspended air bubbles to be stripped from the circulation pumps water intake before entering the pump. The sizing of the chamber intended to do this, or the flow rate of the circulation pump may need to be adjusted. The Sicce pump on the main media chamber will need to be reinforced with a 3D part to strengthen the volute, both for mechanical durability, and for operating at elevated pressures.

I have the canisters ordered and am expecting their arrival next week.

The Test Methodology

The system will be tested under a fixed flow rate (8 ml/min) and the effluent will be tested under increasing pressures. The plan is to test from 5 psi up to (hopefully) 25 psi. According to Henry's Law, this should provide for up to 1.7 times the amount of CO2 saturation within the water column. How far along this will get us in our quest for high levels of supplementation, is what this research is trying to answer.

As the pressure limits are raised, the system will be allowed to settle for a day, then the reactor will be purged so fresh CO2 is added, and the reading will be taken the following day. The test will measure the dKH of the (diluted) effluent.

I will be using the waste from my daily AWC (8 ml/min) as the source of feed water. I will have to think about how to dispose of the effluent safely without risking a ton of precipitation inside my drains.
Very interested to see the results and love the reference to the automotive side of things. By doing that you put it into a perspective that a gear head like understands lol.

second_decimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. please haha. I am still needing to replace this .. I found the matching spears unions so now… almost there

48437588-45C5-456A-B755-2D2FCDAE9FCC.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back