Comparison: Reefi Uno 2.0, XR15 G6, XR30 G5

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is not the end all, super experiment, just my process is deciding how to light my new setup. The biggest conclusion is that there is no winner, all great lights and more about personal preference. Tank is a Waterbox 220.6 (72x26x24).

I like a whiter look during the day and an evening blue with white shimmer. Mixed reef with 200-300 par on top for sticks (rock top at 12", giving rock to surface 300-400+), 150 in the mid for euphyllia and 100 on the sand for shrooms and etc. I like the fill of T5, but don't like the color and lack of control. Have experience with SKY vs Radion (see one of my previous posts), prefer a fuller spectrum look over the SKY. In my previous tank I settled on Radion G5 Pro with a Kessil a360x in the middle.

With the new tank I would like to get more violet in the spectrum (400-450 nm) so the G6 and Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro look like good candidates. I will probably still have a kessil in the middle for the shimmer. I prefer to buy things used, so XR15s go for ~300-400, XR30 600-800 and Reefi are hard to find used so 500 new or 400-500 used. Based on the results below, it would be something like 4 XR15 (1200-1600), 2 XR30 (1200-1600) or 2 reefi (1000). Of course could go with more lights, but that is the minimum to meet my needs.

To start with, here is the rock layout on the left of the tank with test points. For par measurements the MP40s are off.
1695948605288.png

The various configurations that I tested include:
1x XR15 G6 Pro mounted on an RMS mount (8")
*2x XR15 G6 Pro mounted on an RMS mount (8")
*1x XR30 G5 Pro mounted on an RMS mount (8")
1x XR30 G5 Pro with diffuser mounted on an RMS mount (8")
1x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro 90 deg reflector at 8"
*1x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro 90 deg reflector at 16"
1x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro 90 deg reflector at 24"
1x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro 120 deg reflector at 8"
*1x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro 120 deg reflector at 12"
1x Reefi Uno 2.0 Pro 120 deg reflector at 16"

Lights are at 100% all channels. The * configuration data represent what I felt was "best" for each light and will be included in this post, the other data will be shown in a second post.

Par map of the * setups
1695950844729.png

All 3 lights can reach my goals. The XR30 and Reefi can be turned down quite a bit while the XR15s will need to be run closer to 75%. From the par perspective, 2 XR15 will be needed for each side of the tank (4 total), 1 XR30 (2 total) or 2 reefi (2 total).

Par is only part of it, shadowing is important too. Here are pictures taken from the front.
1695951012797.png

The 2 XR15 seem to have better wrap around light, not surprising as it is the most distributed source. The shadowing of the XR30 seems to be the next best followed by the Reefi 120 and then Reefi 90.

The Reefi seems to have color splitting along the shadow lines. This color splitting is also seen in the shimmer leading to more of a disco effect. I believe this is due to the color channels being seperated in their own reflectors rather than mixed with the blues. The disco is also present in the Radion when the pumps are on, but is much smaller and goes away with the diffuser. Holding the diffuser under the Reefi does not eliminate the disco effect.

Also, the Reefi seems to have a more pink hue. I tried tuning the color channels, but it always seemed to have a pink undertone. Here is a side by side pic of reefi on the left and XR15 on the right. You can see the pinker hue and the more pronounced shimmer/ disco lines. Note that this is with the pumps on.

1695951410283.png

In the end, I think I prefer the Radion color and more blending. That does result in some additional side glare, but I can fix that with a shade. Blending the colors in the Reefi is harder because the "color" channels are isolated to their own reflectors in the middle leading to color separation in the tank. If Par was my #1 concern, definitely Reefi is the winner. I think I will be going with the XR15s for now, then possibly upgrade to XR30s as my needs change.

Other things that are on my mind, but not necessarily driving the decision are aesthetic of the RMS mount (I found my optimal Reefi height to be higher than the RMS, so can't make an adapter), ecosystem (I have MP40, Vectra and Versas and never had an issue with Mobius), and past good experience (not only myself, but also that many coral vendors use them (and I don't care if they get a deal on them... they still use them and they work!)).

1695952196918.png

Again, this is really a personal decision. All are good solutions and will not be the reason a tank succeeds or fails. Just putting my thoughts and data out there for others!

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great work and data put into these. Reefi 2.0 Pros look promising, but it looks like XR30 still rules when it comes to less hotspot and more spread. Looks like you were able to help with the spread and hotspot using 120 degree and much higher mounting, but only so many tanks can hang mount (super tall rail mounting systems is just too much of an eye sore IMO).

I think next iteration for Reefi should be double the footprint in order to space out the LED cluster a bit more, along with 2 versions (less blue option), and it will be a complete hit. Maybe the bigger footprint will allow for passive cooling even since there's more cooling area.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think next iteration for Reefi should be double the footprint in order to space out the LED cluster a bit more, along with 2 versions (less blue option), and it will be a complete hit. Maybe the bigger footprint will allow for passive cooling even since there's more cooling area.
I agree with your thoughts on Reefi. He has the duo in the line up which does spread the led's but it's a couple generations behind in development and has less power.

Reefer_GQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, great work and data put into these. Reefi 2.0 Pros look promising, but it looks like XR30 still rules when it comes to less hotspot and more spread. Looks like you were able to help with the spread and hotspot using 120 degree and much higher mounting, but only so many tanks can hang mount (super tall rail mounting systems is just too much of an eye sore IMO).

If you want more spread on the ReeFi unos, try removing the reeflector, that would increase the spread.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want more spread on the ReeFi unos, try removing the reeflector, that would increase the spread.
It’s a physical limitation. Sure, more light spill will happen, but light still won’t bend over obstacles, which is the context of spread being use here. It’s the biggest drawback to kessils - great power and PAR but it’s still a point source.

If there’s room for it, and a way to mount it, Orpheks are still king in my book.

With the uno 2.0, if you can raise them high enough, it’s not an issue and will act similar to Orphek.

That’s the biggest advantage to the XR30 - being mounted only 8” but giving a great spread without the hotspot. G6 went a little overboard with the spread angle IMO. G5 was the sweet spot.

OP
OP
Jon's Reef

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The biggest difference to me was the color, which always seems to have a pinkish color and the color mixing. For example, if there is a shadow from a rock, the Radions show either a sharp or blurred shadow, but it is 1 shadow. With the reefi, there are multiple distinct shadows with slightly different colors. I believe this is due to the color distribution in the reflectors. This also manifests as disco on the shimmer lines. Perhaps it would not be present if the “color” LEDs were distributed with the blue and violets.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest difference to me was the color, which always seems to have a pinkish color and the color mixing. For example, if there is a shadow from a rock, the Radions show either a sharp or blurred shadow, but it is 1 shadow. With the reefi, there are multiple distinct shadows with slightly different colors. I believe this is due to the color distribution in the reflectors. This also manifests as disco on the shimmer lines. Perhaps it would not be present if the “color” LEDs were distributed with the blue and violets.

Thats the usual problem with the wide-area arrangements and the more clustered arrangements - the light is coming from different incident angles and will cause that rainbow effect. Kessil has the lowest incidence, as their diodes are tightly packed on a single substrate.

You can "fix" it by using more and more aggressive diffusers, but then you need to pump more and more energy in for a peak PAR level. There are some really good diffuser materials (e.g., ones with a surface texture of small crystals) but everything you use will lose the benefit of lenses and reflectors.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting comparison. I had been considering selling my 4 xr15 g5 pros and getting Reefi Uno 2.0’s but this comparison kind of put me off that. They still look like great lights and if I was buying new I’d really lean toward them, but I don’t know that switching would be good for me. Seems I’d need more than I’d think, or I’d have to run them super high up to get the coverage I’m already getting with my xr15s.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option to go along with the Reefi uno's would be to add a couple light bars to help with the shadowing.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re running a floating canopy or similar that’s 18” - 24” up or so, I think the Uno 2.0 would be a great with the 90° lenses they come with. Most people run tank mounted arms though, or just can get their light assembly high enough.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great analysis Joe, I was on the fence for 2x Uno Pro 2.0 to complement my 4 Kessils A360x with 2 blue plus and 2 super actinic in a aquatic hybrid fixture, but I hate the purple hue in addition to distinct disco effect present here.
I have 2 reefi in cart ready to check out but your data validate my suspiction on the uniform color blending that reefi claims to have.

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jon's Reef . Thank you so much for posting this. I am super sensitive to disco and pick it up in heartbeat. I can always see disco in the videos that are posted by reefi which means that it will be super noticeable to me in real life. I have been torn between the reefis and mitras on my 7'x4'x30" tank that I'm in the process of building out (need at least 8 for the type of coverage I'm looking for so can't afford to pick the wrong light). I think I'll be going the mitra route after you've confirmed my concerns. Especially since the 120deg reeflector and adding an actual diffuser did not correct the problem (I was contemplating buying the reefis and doing diy diffusers if 120deg reflectors didn't do the trick, but you eliminate both options with your tests). Again thank you so much. I don't want to bash reefi as they are so well built, best bang for buck power, most complete spectrum, most customizable, best and most personalized customer support etc etc etc, but cannot ever get past the pesky disco lol. I was also concerned about not getting that whiter look (I know its achievable, but maybe more of a pink hue as you have stated).

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jon's Reef . Thank you so much for posting this. I am super sensitive to disco and pick it up in heartbeat. I can always see disco in the videos that are posted by reefi which means that it will be super noticeable to me in real life. I have been torn between the reefis and mitras on my 7'x4'x30" tank that I'm in the process of building out (need at least 8 for the type of coverage I'm looking for so can't afford to pick the wrong light). I think I'll be going the mitra route after you've confirmed my concerns. Especially since the 120deg reeflector and adding an actual diffuser did not correct the problem (I was contemplating buying the reefis and doing diy diffusers if 120deg reflectors didn't do the trick, but you eliminate both options with your tests). Again thank you so much. I don't want to bash reefi as they are so well built, best bang for buck power, most complete spectrum, most customizable, best and most personalized customer support etc etc etc, but cannot ever get past the pesky disco lol. I was also concerned about not getting that whiter look (I know its achievable, but maybe more of a pink hue as you have stated).

You should research some Orphek Icons, Phillips, or Neptune Sky. For that sized tank those would really grow for you. The latter two especially if you don’t want disco at all.

SpursFan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, diso effect with reefi uno 2.0?

That's the last thing I would say these light have, sure there is a tiny bit based on the design of the light but virtually zero when compared to anything non point source or massively defused. I had Gen 4 radions and they were a complete night club compared to Uno 2.0 and I've seen g5s that have more disco effect. Also, with 9 color channels if you're getting pinks or purples that you don't like your not setting it correctly.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, diso effect with reefi uno 2.0?

That's the last thing I would say these light have, sure there is a tiny bit based on the design of the light but virtually zero when compared to anything non point source or massively defused. I had Gen 4 radions and they were a complete night club compared to Uno 2.0 and I've seen g5s that have more disco effect. Also, with 9 color channels if you're getting pinks or purples that you don't like your not setting it correctly.
Shimmer vs disco. With disco you can see different colored shimmers on the water.

Reefi I think are optimal when placing them much higher up (also helps there’s no spill/glare) for proper spread and color blending (reduced disco), but that requires a floating canopy/canopy. Biggest draw with XR30 for me is the lower mounting height with great spread.

If I can mount high, I’d opt for Orpheks or Neptune Sky. They are twice as much, but you also need half the fixtures because of their physical size and coverage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back