Concentration tropic marin trace

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any learnings from calculations and experiments that led to all-for-reef that could be shared fordosing trace a and k? The label instructions for trace a and k are quite wide.
When using Original Balling with K+ and A- Elements, prepare Part A (calcium) for one liter to 950 ml solution and add 50 ml K+ Elements. Then prepare Part B (alkalinity) for one liter to 950 ml solution and add 50 ml A- Elements.

These are the same proportions as in All-For-Reef, just applied to Original Balling. :)

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using Original Balling with K+ and A- Elements, prepare Part A (calcium) for one liter to 950 ml solution and add 50 ml K+ Elements. Then prepare Part B (alkalinity) for one liter to 950 ml solution and add 50 ml A- Elements.

These are the same proportions as in All-For-Reef, just applied to Original Balling. :)
I would also add 50 ml rodi water to part C

OP
OP
B

Bakki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you very much, this is exactly what i was looking for!

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concentration of trace elements in these products differs. The concentration of trace elements in the A and K products is much higher, which means it's easier to overdose trace elements using A and K. The all-for-reef is more diluted, and in theory, all-for-reef is a gentler method of adding trace elements.

The recommended dose for all-for-reef is to start at 5ml per 100 litres and not to exceed 25ml per 100 litres.

The recommended dose for A and K is 1ml per 100 litres, with a big, bold warning in uppercase letters on the label to never exceed 2ml per 100 litres. This means it's far easier to overdose trace elements using A and K elements if not carefully measured or your tank demand isn't there. I always presumed trace elements were biotic organisms, and it's only through this post that I now understand that they are non-organic elements of the periodic table, containing metals. Adding too much to your water can have the dangerous consequences of eventually building up and, in theory, poisoning your tank.

I use all-for-reef to keep my alkalinity stable. I dose of 10ml per 100 litres, which keeps my tank stable at 8.5dKh. I have no idea how the 10ml of all-for-reef covers my trace element demand, as it's not easy to measure trace elements accurately. My last ICP test confirmed all my trace elements were fine, but I've now read even ICP tests can't provide accurate readings, making it very difficult to work out trace element dosing requirements.

With no way to accurately measure trace elements, who knows what to do? Sticking to weekly water changes is probably the best way to go.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got it a bit wrong. The trace elements in AFR are to ensure that the little seawater you add to compensate for the Alk and Ca consumption is to keep the seawater composition and not take into account trace elements uptake by the creatures in your tank. As your tank volume is finite unlike the sea you have to add trace elements unless you do a lot of WCs. Many trace elements disappear quickly from the water column by uptake and many other complex processes. I have been adding 4 ml each of A and K daily to my 100g tank for over a year and without any water changes and I have no apparent issues. Notably since I started, my Cheato started to grow like crazy. This is my tank:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got it a bit wrong. The trace elements in AFR are to ensure that the little seawater you add to compensate for the Alk and Ca consumption is to keep the seawater composition and not take into account trace elements uptake by the creatures in your tank. As your tank volume is finite unlike the sea you have to add trace elements unless you do a lot of WCs. Many trace elements disappear quickly from the water column by uptake and many other complex processes. I have been adding 4 ml each of A and K daily to my 100g tank for over a year and without any water changes and I have no apparent issues. Notably since I started, my Cheato started to grow like crazy. This is my tank:

I believe that you are thinking of the Balling Method, A, B, and C to balance out ions.

Any trace elements in AFR are there to offset consumption. Calcium formate does not need the equivalent of Balling Part C in it.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that you are thinking of the Balling Method, A, B, and C to balance out ions.

Any trace elements in AFR are there to offset consumption. Calcium formate does not need the equivalent of Balling Part C in it.
I understand that, but I recall that Hans Werner said that AFR does require additional trace elements in the form of their A & K elements.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, but I recall that Hans Werner said that AFR does require additional trace elements in the form of their A & K elements.

It may well. It obviously does in some settings, like a tank with lots of soft corals and macroaglae and little alk demand so little AFR is being used.

But that is more trace elements to offset more consumption relative to what AFR is adding already to offset "average" consumption.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy is explaining it exactly correct. For the "average reef aquarium" the trace elements are included in and dosed with the All-For-Reef but not with Original Balling where they have to be added extra with the K+ and A- Elements.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back