Concerning sea hare behavior

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted last night about my sea hare doing a funny sitting and rocking behavior:

12 hours later, it is still doing it and hasn't moved from the spot it was last night. I've had the hare for 6 days so far.

Does anyone have experience with sea hares and know what is going on?

Tank: Evo 13.5g

Rocks: mix of CaribSea LifeRock and TBS gulf rocks with plenty of GHA.

Other inhabitants of note: 2 RFAs that I was worried could sting the hare, but seems like the hare touches them without reacting; serpent seastar, saron shrimp, pom pom crab, 2 docile clowns; plenty of codium and even red grape Brotycladia to munch on aside from the GHA (I've seen it spend hours on top of the codium).

Params: Will get new measurements tonight, but NO3 has been running around 15-20ppm; PO4 variable in 0.1-0.5ppm range; Alk 9.5dKh, all tested with Salifert. Mg runs high due to HW salt mix (i.e. >1600), but I don't test Mg often.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was your acclimation process?
Do you also feed it?

Went about an hour. Water in the bag was close to my sg (1.023 vs 1.026). Didn't drip, but I manually added periodically. Sea gare had a short trip from LFS to home, so not much concern about ammonium accumulation in the bag.

I haven't been feeding it since I was hoping it would work on the GHA. I can give it an algae tab to see if it perks up, or a bit of nori.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went about an hour. Water in the bag was close to my sg (1.023 vs 1.026). Didn't drip, but I manually added periodically. Sea gare had a short trip from LFS to home, so not much concern about ammonium accumulation in the bag.

I haven't been feeding it since I was hoping it would work on the GHA. I can give it an algae tab to see if it perks up, or a bit of nori.
See Hares are extremely intolerant of changes. They need about a 4 Hour acclimation.
I would say take it out of the tank and smell it and see if it's still alive.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See Hares are extremely intolerant of changes. They need about a 4 Hour acclimation.
I would say take it out of the tank and smell it and see if it's still alive.
It is still alive and moving, but I'll keep an eye on it. I might move it to a new soot to see if it changes position. Noted for future.

Back