Conductivity vs Refractometer

Tim Olson

Love to Learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying you calibrate your Hanna with the Accurasea?
Yes, AccuraSea is what I found was the most accurate calibration fluid for the Hanna and my other devices. I know it sounds weird, since you would think the Hanna solution would be the best for the HI98319.

Also, during my search for the most accurate way to measure salinity, I found and bought a VEE GEE STX-3 refractometer. It's very well made and viewing the scale is so much easier than the "normal" refractometers, and it gives accurate, repeatable results. I use this along with the Hanna to double check the reading periodically.
1611701992748.png

OP
OP
Jeepjeep_0

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, AccuraSea is what I found was the most accurate calibration fluid for the Hanna and my other devices. I know it sounds weird, since you would think the Hanna solution would be the best for the HI98319.
Also, during my search for the most accurate way to measure salinity, I found and bought a VEE GEE STX-3 refractometer. It's very well made and viewing the scale is so much easier than the "normal" refractometers, and it gives accurate, repeatable results. I use this along with the Hanna to double check the reading periodically.
1611701992748.png
Thank You

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy and use a Tropic-Marin hydrometer. No fussing or guessing with calibration fluids.

Well said, wish I was told about these from the start, money well spent, as soon as I break mine, which I’m sure to do with it being glass and 6 feet long, my order is going in for a replacement.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1611701992748.png

Thank You
You both do realize that the refractive index, and the conductivity of sea water are 2 totally different measurements? You CAN NOT calibrate 2 different measuring devices, with 2 different ways to measure salinity, with the same calibration fluid.

This is why in @Randy Holmes-Farley DIY calibration solution is made with different stock solutions depending on what devices your using.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not buy and use a Tropic-Marin hydrometer. No fussing or guessing with calibration fluids.

Several reasons to not prefer it, actually. You must fuss with temperature corrections, for one.

While I have one and used it occasionally, it is far less convenient than a device that continuously reads conductivity and temperature at a quick glance.

If you never check it, then you are assuming it was made perfectly. I see no reason to not at least check it in a calibration fluid once.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, if the calibration fluid is a seawater mimic (with at least all of the major ions) then it can be a suitable calibration fluid for any device. The Pinpoint 53 mS/cm fluid, for example, claims to be a seawater mimic and would be suitable also for a refractometer or hydrometer. But without knowing what is in the fluid, that assumption cannot be made.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You both do realize that the refractive index, and the conductivity of sea water are 2 totally different measurements? You CAN NOT calibrate 2 different measuring devices, with 2 different ways to measure salinity, with the same calibration fluid.

This is why in @Randy Holmes-Farley DIY calibration solution is made with different stock solutions depending on what devices your using.

of course you can use the same fluid for both.? you just can’t use the Hanna calibration for both as that is designed for conductivity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course you can use the same fluid for both.? you just can’t use the Hanna calibration for both as that is designed for conductivity.

I'm not sure I understand the comment.

Some solutions can be used for all devices, and some are device specific.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that is what I was saying...you could use a refractometer solution for both but not the Hanna conductivity solution fluid for both.

That could certainly be true. Do you know what the Hanna solution is made of?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that is what I was saying...you could use a refractometer solution for both but not the Hanna conductivity solution fluid for both.
I did not know that. I knew the hanna solution couldn't be used for refractometers, so I assumed the same was correct for refractometer solutions calibrating conductivity meters.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea but it gives strange results what used on a refractometer.

OK, fair enough.

The definition of seawater 35 PSU by conductivity is actually a pure KCl solution, and that would certainly be off with a refractometer if Hanna used that.

A standard seawater of 35 has by definition a conductivity ratio of unity at 15°C with a KCl solution containing a mass of 32.4356 g KCl in a mass of 1 kg of solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that. I knew the hanna solution couldn't be used for refractometers, so I assumed the same was correct for refractometer solutions calibrating conductivity meters.

Lou Dell of American Marine (Pinpoint) told me that his 35 ppt standard for his conductivity meter is a seawater mimic and is also suitable for refractometers.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so easy and silly. Like I said many times, take your cheap swing arm hydrometer to where ever your fish was collected. Jump in the water with the thing and using a permanent marker draw a line on it where the arm floats. No calibration, no nothing and it's perfect, more perfect than the most expensive refractometer. :rolleyes:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

if you know your refractometer calibration fluid to be accurate and the Hanna reads it so then it is calibrated correctly, I guess Hanna could use a different solution that would be suited to both but than the opportunity to sell another product is gone, sorry probably being cynical there, probably best to calibrate the device with the solution it’s designed to read ;)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so easy and silly. Like I said many times, take your cheap swing arm hydrometer to where ever your fish was collected. Jump in the water with the thing and using a permanent marker draw a line on it where the arm floats. No calibration, no nothing and it's perfect, more perfect than the most expensive refractometer. :rolleyes:

I thought it was us English that were meant to have a sarcastic sense of humour...you are joking right?

OP
OP
Jeepjeep_0

Jeepjeep_0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for the information. I have an appropriate scale coming tommorrow to make the Randy Holmes-Farley refractometer solution. Then I’ll look up the DIY conductivity tester recipe as well.

Back