Confirming this is cyno?

luapinicap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m not the first or the last to ask this, but this is cyno? It goes away on the sand at night and back when the lights are on. It always stays on the rocks.

IMG_0166.jpeg IMG_0165.jpeg
Thank you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think thats cyanobacteria which is a bacterial mat that gets its name from its color 'cyan' (just like the printer ink). Most varieties are purple/red. Now having said that - cyanobacteria is a type of 'blue-green algae' (former name) - they are now known to be bacteria. There are some green strains.

Can you say some more about the 'stuff' - does it disappear at night, and re-appear after the lights are on for a couple/several hours/. (that suggests cyanobacteria). If there is no change during the course of the day (dark to full light) - I would say no. it could be multiple things

OP
OP
L

luapinicap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think thats cyanobacteria which is a bacterial mat that gets its name from its color 'cyan' (just like the printer ink). Most varieties are purple/red. Now having said that - cyanobacteria is a type of 'blue-green algae' (former name) - they are now known to be bacteria. There are some green strains.

Can you say some more about the 'stuff' - does it disappear at night, and re-appear after the lights are on for a couple/several hours/. (that suggests cyanobacteria). If there is no change during the course of the day (dark to full light) - I would say no. it could be multiple things
Yea the sand bed will be clean in the morning and then after a couple hours the red will come back on the sand. Now there is red on the rocks which came when the red started on the sand but the rocks still look red and kinda hairy at night.

Maybe it’s cyno and a red hair algae ( if there is such a thing)

Would chemi clean help with the hair algae on the rocks?

I had one gsp frag on my back wall and now all the polyps are closed for the last week because I think this algae is growing on it.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it blow off the rocks easily with a turkey baster?
The pics don't look like any "red" to me, it all looks brownish color.
If it is a really new system, I would think diatoms. But if it's an established system with low nutrients, then I may lean toward dinos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back