Confused

spectorreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a great article talking about 2 part dosing. My tank is a 150 and 4 months old. It will eventually be a mixed reef but right now it is soft coral dominated I guess.
I am not sure if I learned a lesson with SPS as I had a few die. It may be because the tank is new or that I have yet to be able to stabilize my alk and calcium.
Let’s say my alk is 8. Then I check calcium and that is high at 510. Not the end of the world for either number. But I want 9dKh. So I add ESV B-ionic and let my calcium drop on its own. I have not reached a balance still.
So this week I am trying strictly adding 1:1. In my case I am only paying attention to dKh. The dose currently is 50ml of each. Today’s reading is 10dKh and 440calcium according to Hanna.
Am I right in thinking they will balance each other out and precipitate what’s not needed on its own so long as I continue to dose the same 50ml (1:1) everyday? Even though I am at acceptable #’s?
I do understand the more animals I add I MAY have to adjust dosage.
Thanks!!!

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Stability is the most important thing to sps. alk going up or down quickly will cause them issues.

How often are you testing/dosing? With little or no sps in the system most people are able to just get away with water changes to keep the alk/calcium up.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend establishing your dKH consumption/needs, by not dosing for a day and checking dKH exactly same time next day. It would give you an estimate how much you should dose, not just guessing and constantly adjusting.
After establishing basal consumption, you can make small adjustments.
It might be that you actually do not need any dosing yet?!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back