Confusion about use of Bacto balance and Elim NP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 65g 10 months old mixed sps dominant reef. 2 weeks ago, I had a spike in phosphates (0.26 Hanna ULR checker) and my nitrates were 19 (Hanna LR checker). I started running gfo and doing water changes, and now my phosphates are 0.03 and nitrates are 13. I bought bacto balance as instructed on the website to stabilize my nitrate-phosphate ratio. From what I understand, I should dose bacto balance until the ratio is under 10:1, then switch to Elim NP to lower both, then back to bacto balance to maintain them? Is this right or am I completely off?

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of hope an expert weighs in because I am just starting this system. Bought all 3 because they were cheap enough and am starting with Plus NP but from what I gather you measure the PO4 only and dose accordingly. Seems to be solely driven off the PO4 measure and ignores the NO3.

Thanks,
Matt

Reef_Curiosity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a 65g 10 months old mixed sps dominant reef. 2 weeks ago, I had a spike in phosphates (0.26 Hanna ULR checker) and my nitrates were 19 (Hanna LR checker). I started running gfo and doing water changes, and now my phosphates are 0.03 and nitrates are 13. I bought bacto balance as instructed on the website to stabilize my nitrate-phosphate ratio. From what I understand, I should dose bacto balance until the ratio is under 10:1, then switch to Elim NP to lower both, then back to bacto balance to maintain them? Is this right or am I completely off?
Hi,
Hans-Werner will give you a reply if deemed necessary when he returns from holiday. Should be sometime late this coming week. :)

Meanwhile, I can tell you what I think. I would caution you to not worry too much about the specific ratio just yet. You have plenty of NO3 and low PO4, and you got there without carbon dosing. This means your system is still new to this method and you need to start at a lower dose (25% for the first week at least)
Until your reef tank has gotten used to carbon dosing, your primary concern should be establishing the bacterial culture and keeping a healthy amount of PO4 available to your corals while you and the tank gets accustomed to this method. We usually recommend 0.1 mg/L of PO4.
If your PO4 drops even further with a 25% dose, you should either stop, lower it further and feed more or switch to Plus-NP (recommended).
You can read more about the method on the website Carbon dosing scale.
Kind regards,
Samuel

Reef_Curiosity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of hope an expert weighs in because I am just starting this system. Bought all 3 because they were cheap enough and am starting with Plus NP but from what I gather you measure the PO4 only and dose accordingly. Seems to be solely driven off the PO4 measure and ignores the NO3.

Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt,
You are quite right :)
And good call to get all three from the start!
Kind regards,
Samuel

MMcKenna1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Matt,
You are quite right :)
And good call to get all three from the start!
Kind regards,
Samuel
I don't want to hijack the thread but since this may be helpful to the OP as well I will ask an additional question. My bioload is pretty low. I do have 4 small fish in QT that should be in the main in another couple weeks but due to low numbers I am starting with Plus NP. I also ordered Prodibio Bio Digest as it was recommended to help build up a diverse population of good bacteria. Are these products going to play nice together? I almost worry about adding the bacteria as I would think it would just drive the numbers down lower but it seems like having that healthy bacteria is pretty critical to the overall system?

Thanks,
Matt

Reef_Curiosity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to hijack the thread but since this may be helpful to the OP as well I will ask an additional question. My bioload is pretty low. I do have 4 small fish in QT that should be in the main in another couple weeks but due to low numbers I am starting with Plus NP. I also ordered Prodibio Bio Digest as it was recommended to help build up a diverse population of good bacteria. Are these products going to play nice together? I almost worry about adding the bacteria as I would think it would just drive the numbers down lower but it seems like having that healthy bacteria is pretty critical to the overall system?

Thanks,
Matt
I have not tried combining Tropic Marin products with other types like that. So I can not say anything based on experience with that specific product. :)
Since your tank is already started I think no problems should arise. If you added both at the same time in an uncycled tank, maybe a small and temporary bacterial bloom would occur.

It's a good idea to start with Plus-NP already. It can function on it's own as a faux bioload. Which is very useful when cycling new tanks, when keeping coral QT or when the fish numbers are very low. :cool:

Kind regards,
Samuel

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update on this since it has been a while since I last posted. I contacted Lou Ekus @ TropicMarin US and he suggested I dose NP plus to raise my phosphates and not worry about the 10:1 ratio. Interestingly enough, doing this in conjunction with routine 10% water changes has safely raised my phosphates to 0.15 and actually reduced my nitrates to 3.0! I did some research about NP Plus and read that it contains more bioavailable nitrogen and phosphorous compounds that greatly improve your corals' absorption of it. My sps have never looked better. I plan on switching back to NP bacto balance now and starting at a very small dose and slowly increase it until I find the right maintenance dose for my system.

OP
OP
Tbg299

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose bacteria instead of these and your SPS will love it
Nitrifying bacteria? I cycled my tank a year ago with 50 lbs of uncured live rock so I'd think there's plenty.

Rams

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nitrifying bacteria? I cycled my tank a year ago with 50 lbs of uncured live rock so I'd think there's plenty.
Bacteria will take up nutrients and give it to corals rather than dosing these..my tank cycled 4 months ago but still I dose bacteria.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back