Normal phosphate high nitrate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently dose bacto balance. My phosphates are .03 and my nitrates are 40. I’d like to lower my nitrates to the 10 range. Would elimi np work with my phosphates and nitrates in those ranges or would another product be better?

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good numbers i would leave it alone why do you want to lower it, if anything i would want to raise the phosphate

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like my nitrates to be a bit lower. 10-20 would be ideal.

NicolasPaquet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get porous live rocks or other products that create a anoxic zone for anaerobic respiration (MarinePure balls or blocks, Seachem Matrix, etc..). Denitrifying bacteria will colonize the rock and complete the nitrogen cycle (nitrates to nitrogen gas). You can use Biomax or denitrate to inoculate these types of bacteria to get started or nitrifying bacteria will eventually colonize and switch to anaerobic respiration (I think).

Other than that it's water changes but you might see your nitrates spike again the day after a water change; nitrates seep into rocks and gravel. If your tank can digest more nitrates than are produced you will win.

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get porous live rocks or other products that create a anoxic zone for anaerobic respiration (MarinePure balls or blocks, Seachem Matrix, etc..). Denitrifying bacteria will colonize the rock and complete the nitrogen cycle (nitrates to nitrogen gas). You can use Biomax or denitrate to inoculate these types of bacteria to get started or nitrifying bacteria will eventually colonize and switch to anaerobic respiration (I think).

Other than that it's water changes but you might see your nitrates spike again the day after a water change; nitrates seep into rocks and gravel. If your tank can digest more nitrates than are produced you will win.
Why would nitrate spike after a water change?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back