Nitrate high?

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my Nitrate with Hanna it reads 33.4, I am using the Nitrate LR 718 version, I wasn't sure if I did correctly.

I checked with API and its between 20-40. What is the best way to lower nitrate? I plan on doing a 12 gallon water change now, I have a 60 gallon tank by the way and in 3 more days do another 12 gallons and so on until it gets to safe range. Thoughts?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not urgent at that level. I like to keep it lower than 20, so you are just slightly above normal, but not a big deal IMO.

The easiest and most immediate way to reduce nitrate is with a water change, but there are many methods to reduce and control nitrate.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change, test and monitor. Feed a little less and turn your skimmer up a bit. Change out filter socks and siphon detritus during your water change. 10-20 ppm nitrates is the sweet spot for most systems. I have success keeping nitrates down using a small denitrification chamber in my sump with Brightwell Xport cubes.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back