New tank very high nitrate problem help

CH0599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I just got in to the hobby and purchased a fully set up 180 gallon tank secondhand. I am using all of the original water and rocks with new live sand. I got the tank about a month ago and have have been dealing with extremely high levels of nitrates. The tank was definitely slightly neglected when I bought it but it had 7 fish in it that are still alive and doing well but I would like to add more but not until I fix the high nitrate problem. I have already done three 30% water changes and honestly the levels seem like they are almost getting higher. I have been using test strips to check levels and I can’t exactly tell what the exact number is but it is somewhere between 100 and 250. All of the other parameters seem to be right where they should be. Any advice will help. I am looking to resolve this problem relatively quickly, thanks

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and start researching Carbon/vodka Dosing. It's a tactic designed to bring down nitrates drastically. One of the hobbys most famous version of it is Red Seas NoPOx, and it definitely works. Just be careful to use it. Overdosing, or even ironically using the correct amount can strip the tank of oxygen (I know from experience :grinning-face-with-sweat: ) Use it sparringly. I do half of the instructed dosage.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and start researching Carbon/vodka Dosing. It's a tactic designed to bring down nitrates drastically. One of the hobbys most famous version of it is Red Seas NoPOx, and it definitely works. Just be careful to use it. Overdosing, or even ironically using the correct amount can strip the tank of oxygen (I know from experience :grinning-face-with-sweat: ) Use it sparringly. I do half of the instructed dosage.
I’ve found that test strips are unreliable! Invest in a good test kit. Do your research first as bouncing between different test kits is a sure way to drive yourself crazy.
Consistency is imperative.
High nitrates is fairly common and not a reason by itself to panic. Driving them down can take a while.

OP
OP
C

CH0599

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found that test strips are unreliable! Invest in a good test kit. Do your research first as bouncing between different test kits is a sure way to drive yourself crazy.
Consistency is imperative.
High nitrates is fairly common and not a reason by itself to panic. Driving them down can take a while.
I even got a Hanna nitrate checker and it just flashes 75.0 on it which means it’s over its range

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back