Conical/tapered step drill bit on acrylic?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 7, 2020
Messages
3,566
Reaction score
6,074
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

Like the title says, will a conical/tapered step drill bit work to drill holes in 1/8" acrylic? I'm waiting for the stuff to build my mesh lid so I cut a piece of acrylic to use as a temporary top and I want to drill some vent holes because it's holding in a bit too much heat. I have one of those step bits handy so thought I could put it to use. I also have some of those hole cutting drill bits (with the jagged teeth) as well as glass/ceramic hole cutting drill bits (these have a textured gritty base instead of jagged teeth) . Not sure which, if any, is better. :-)
 
yes you can. You can use a bit of dish soap to lubricate the bit.
 
yes you can. You can use a bit of dish soap to lubricate the bit.
Awesome! Thanks. I kept reading how easily acrylic can crack so wanted to make sure I was using the correct type. Should I use masking tape on the acrylic or is that not needed with this bit?
 
Use masking tape for peace of mind. Take it easy on the pressure put on the drill as the step bit have a tendency to 'bite' on acrylic.
Will do. Thank you so much!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new