Connecting Established Reef To New Tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the top five or ten cycling threads in reefing.

takes power away from bottle bac sellers

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got back to read this thread!
Pure gem. On point assessment and coaching. Would love to know how everything looks today @Tuffloud1 ? Really wish I would have given this thread a read before recent upgrade.
Totally different circumstances but could have applied 100% parameter control advice given in this thread instead of learning on the fly.
Here is the tank today -

86B05F3A-1D93-4A78-A1C2-DA994EEEC525.jpeg
587091F6-9E6C-44FC-B30A-35CC728C5208.jpeg
B85BAFF7-C48C-4640-A6C1-7C44F114D2E4.jpeg
62B0FB35-43E0-4A5A-BA9F-065E5729FA2F.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your thread shows all dry start rock systems the undisputed best way to get what they want, and how to ford the uglies into staghornness. no rip cleaning, finesse and patience and timing that has a payoff date vs open ended wait. your thread gives them critical compliance time frames they can aim for.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott are you using ocean rock, cycled dry rock from mature system or new dry rock in your upgrades?
Although this was entirely different from my recent upgrade tanks. I still seen 100% of the nutrient and parameter control you advised here. Tbh i feel i owe full success that I've had with my shroom lagoon to diligently matching and maintaining old system params to the T. I did not expect my lagoon to take off running the way it did but quickly caught on to alk and nutrient dispersement/usage and once I got a handle and stabilized it really did settle in nicely.
I did have to dose Nitrates and Phosphates daily but I took the lower dose approach of 1-2 ppm nitrates and .03-.06 phosphates. Didnt take alot of nitrate dosing maybe a week or 2 for my regular feeding to lock me back into around 5ppm, but seemed to take a solid month or 2 for phosphates to catch up and stay in readable range to now sitting at around .1 phosphates months later. I never did see an ugly phase in shroom lagoon knock on wood. I feel like it was super tight line I walked with lower constant dosing of nutrients.
The cpl times I missed dosing phosphates I did have a cpl of my super fussy shrooms start losing color. Was super critical keeping Phosphates in system. Did mine with all gulf rock though not sure if that makes much of a difference.
Good question. The answer is yes (very established rock from my display) but not enough of it. This is a frag system, so all the rock is sumped.

Compound that with me adding some dry Marco. I learned later (tested it myself) that this Marco rock is phosphate free. So it became a phosphate magnet therefor what little PO4 I had in the water (from display) was bound up in the clean aragonite. Poof: dinos.

Second time I was dosing, but not enough. All that clean surface area and clean frag rocks got some ostreopsis. Less bad. Similar the third time, but a better reaction time and 50 watts of UV cleared it real quick.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping one of the most important cycling threads online, for 2022 readers to see we are not bound to purchase cycling bac even for huge big jobs. Tank water has cycling bacteria free of charge, ready to share, even though for your entire career online peers have said cycling only happens on surfaces and cycling bacteria aren't found in water.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we use this thread a lot to show expected uglies management in dry rock systems.

post #142 is a deeply shocking outcome example, hope this year looks equally solid

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back