Considering a calcium reactor but system is small...35 gallons small

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to the point on my small cube that I believe switching to a calcium reactor would help simplify my busy life. I have 3 kids a baby on the way, we just bought our first home which is 4300 sq ft and its not a new construction so the list of projects and honey do list is growing by the day. I have my own fish room/ coral propagation room that has 4 separate systems (all relatively young) so as you can imagine my time is stretched very thin. My oldest tank is a 35 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump. Total water volume after displacement is just under 35 gallons.

This tank is about 80% sps mostly acropora. I'm running a doser and have been for a long time but this small tank is the one that consumes most of my reefing time. It's hard to keep rock steady alk and I'm constantly testing and adjusting the doser. It uses about 2 dkh a day and I'm dosing about 40mls of brs alk solution.

I want something that will free up some time by keeping more steady numbers and I'm thinking a calcium reactor. My problem is most reactors are for large tanks. Anyone help me down this path of finding one that will work amazing on my setup?
Thanks Will

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use dosing pumps on a smaller tank like that. Dialing in a calcium reactor on a tank that small would be difficult

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've come to the point on my small cube that I believe switching to a calcium reactor would help simplify my busy life. I have 3 kids a baby on the way, we just bought our first home which is 4300 sq ft and its not a new construction so the list of projects and honey do list is growing by the day. I have my own fish room/ coral propagation room that has 4 separate systems (all relatively young) so as you can imagine my time is stretched very thin. My oldest tank is a 35 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump. Total water volume after displacement is just under 35 gallons.

This tank is about 80% sps mostly acropora. I'm running a doser and have been for a long time but this small tank is the one that consumes most of my reefing time. It's hard to keep rock steady alk and I'm constantly testing and adjusting the doser. It uses about 2 dkh a day and I'm dosing about 40mls of brs alk solution.

I want something that will free up some time by keeping more steady numbers and I'm thinking a calcium reactor. My problem is most reactors are for large tanks. Anyone help me down this path of finding one that will work amazing on my setup?
Thanks Will

With reactors it's all about the tuning, you can definitely run a calcium reactor on a smaller tank it a myth that they dont work good for smaller tanks, it's more so that the cost comparison to two part isnt worth it on smaller systems.

A geo cr510 would be perfect, you can even go bigger if you want so that it can be used for larger tanks in the future, I ran a Korallin c3002 (2nd biggest) rated for upto a 800gal tank on a 58gal sps reef with no problems. It's all about how the reactor is tuned

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to carx on my 40b for simplicity. No remembering to fill dosing containers, no wondering about trace elements, etc.

On a smaller system i found the filling media and keeping a co2 reactor filled was much less work.

Down side.
This was monstrously expensive compared to a highend dosing system. All told the switch cost about 2/3rds of the rest of the equipment on my system. With a reactor, co2 tanks(get 2), controller.
i went with a full controller(profilux 4) you could save some money using just a ph controller, but i wanted this to make my life easier, notifications and some automation went with that goal.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had a 40 breeder or smaller I would make my own reactor with pvc pipe and fittings and just take it apart to rinse and add media on a good schedule so it doesn’t go empty. Maybe you can find a small piece of clear tubing that will fit pvc caps on the end? You could put a sight tube on the main body if your worried about regulators causing too much co2. I would defiantly use a planted aquariums reg for sure. I made a large one for my 100 gallon Rubbermaid out of acrylic but have not glued it yet because growth is slow.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you learn to tune it, it’s simple, even for a smaller tank like yours. I use a Geo 618 for my system, and its no longer on a controller (thanks to @jda) and the regulator runs 24/7, and my alk is rock solid at 7.6

FWIW, aquamaxx aka JNS aquaria aka Seapora sells inexpensive, quality made reactors for a fraction of the cost of bigger names. I’d look into them for a small tank. Or, splurge for something like a Geo.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run one on any size tank. I am running an old knopp on a 60g cube and that is about as big as it is good for. I would much rather run a CaRx than a 2/3 part or do kalkwasser... just fits me better.

The only downside is the cost, but look used if this is an issue.

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 40 gallon SPS dominant tank and I ran a Nano calcium reactor on it. It was one of the best investments I made on that tank. I liked it so much better than dealing with dosing and dosing pumps to keep my levels where I needed them. The one I use was made by My Reef Creations, but I am not sure they make the nano reactor anymore. There are several nano reactors available to buy from other vendors though. I highly recommend a reactor if you have the space and funds for it.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a 40 gallon SPS dominant tank and I ran a Nano calcium reactor on it. It was one of the best investments I made on that tank. I liked it so much better than dealing with dosing and dosing pumps to keep my levels where I needed them. The one I use was made by My Reef Creations, but I am not sure they make the nano reactor anymore. There are several nano reactors available to buy from other vendors though. I highly recommend a reactor if you have the space and funds for it.

+100

I too have gone through all methods of mineral replacement, in the long run a calcium reactor is money well spent, cost aside it is the best and safest mineral replacement method for reef tanks if its setup and tuned correctly.

I will still use kalkwasser reactor/stirrers in addition to a cal reactor, but if I had to give one up I would keep my CalRx

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just purchased an aquamaxx T1 calRx rated for 200g on my ~40g. (Tank drops 1dkh per day) Although they do sell a nano version. The main issue is cost and low tank pH coming from the effluent. I run a small refugium to counter the low pH so all is good. Highly recommend for any size tank.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an aquamaxx T1 calRx rated for 200g on my ~40g. (Tank drops 1dkh per day) Although they do sell a nano version. The main issue is cost and low tank pH coming from the effluent. I run a small refugium to counter the low pH so all is good. Highly recommend for any size tank.
there we go. That aquamaxx one is the same as the sulfur denitrator they sell, so if I ever pull that offline, I have a second, smaller CaRx if I need it. This is probably the best bang for the buck reactor, and its like 180$?

chromis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks Will
You just need an Apex + Triton.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we have to ask ourselves how long does it take to mix 2 part up whether it's a gallon or 5 gallons it's about the same time how long will you take tuning in your calcium reactor testing adjusting testing so with that small of a tank if you mix 2 part in larger containers you will probably spend less time just opinion

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not about the mixing of 2 part. It's about the consumption, testing, always have to tweak the dosing, keep lines clean, check calibration on pump heads, changing pump heads, and the inevitable failure one day. I've used calcium reactors before but always on a larger system. Thanks guys for the info. I'm definitely a fan of the set it and forget it reactor plus eliminating having to dose trace calcium and mag as well as alk.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use a CaRx because the equipment is more reliable and even if some of it fails, it takes days and days to crash a tank and not just a few minutes - this gives me time to notice. I just see too many posts about calcium or carbonate dumping 500-1000mls when a pump stays on... even Kaomer or Masterflex on an apex have failed when people think that they are bulletproof... and some of these setups are just as much, or more, than a good CaRx setup.

I also like that the melted media have trace elements that the coral uptook when they created the skeleton. I do see better growth with a CaRx over 2/3 part, but not enough to make this a huge deal over. I will swear that coralline grows better with all of these traces, but this is a curse and not a benefit.

OP
OP
W

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use a CaRx because the equipment is more reliable and even if some of it fails, it takes days and days to crash a tank and not just a few minutes - this gives me time to notice. I just see too many posts about calcium or carbonate dumping 500-1000mls when a pump stays on... even Kaomer or Masterflex on an apex have failed when people think that they are bulletproof... and some of these setups are just as much, or more, than a good CaRx setup.

I also like that the melted media have trace elements that the coral uptook when they created the skeleton. I do see better growth with a CaRx over 2/3 part, but not enough to make this a huge deal over. I will swear that coralline grows better with all of these traces, but this is a curse and not a benefit.

Yea that's one of my main reasons also with this tank. I'm part of the zero water change once the tank is mature and stable camp. I haven't changed a drop of water from this tank in 2 years. The red sea colors program plus kalk and 3 part even though is on a doser is more time consuming then I need currently. When the new baby is here my time will be further stretched. I don't get a lot of me time these days and the time I do get would be more enjoyed watching things grow then messing with equipment.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.8%
Back