Considering magnifica

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I'm considering getting a magnifica anenome.
I've had great success with my LTA, until recently, and other hard corals.
I have a incredibly stable tank and have had my lta since the tank was 2 months old.
I guess you can say my previous leaky tank.( I upgraded)
I've always loved things that wave in the water which is part of the reason I love torches so much. Though I do keep a bit of sps.

I've done some reading on the magnifica anenome and have been aware of it for a while. I originally wanted to get one instead of a lta because I like how they looked better but I decided to go with the easier option of a lta.
What I did not know is that my clowns would not take to it... at all.
I don't really like BTAs and I have a .... past... with them...(anenome bits).
I also want a more natural host to clowns which is the magnifica.
Even if they don't it's still cool to have.

I have some nice spacious reageons with high light and high flow for it.

But my main question is.
How can I keep one with my LTA?

my logic is that since my lta was a sand dweller, I saw was because j decided to be a idiot and overfed the thing trying to get it to move to the front of the tank... lesson learned when I came home a day later and the anenome was in the front of the tank on the rock all torn up.
It got sucked into the smaller head and I guess worked its way out. Now it's hiding in a little cave but is doing much better.

Anyway but the magnifica loves to be as high up as possible so I dont think they would ever bother eachother.

I know there's some saying stuff about chemical warfare but I think running a bit of carbon could help with that.

But what are you guys opinions?
Also are there any recommendations for specific ones to get?

Also sorry if this is a really long read

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma just take this off the unawnserd section real quick.
Still like to see what peapole think.

As all the fish in my tank are probobly about to die, so why not add some new non-fish additions to keep me entertained if they all die.

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime ritteri is really easy to take care of as long as you can treat its usual initial sickness. I got a couple and one of them is in a tank full of coral, isolated on a pillar, they have a habit of never walking down hill in my experience. Also my nem tank has like 5 ritteri along with a LTA, gigantea, and meretii, all of them are literally touching and all fine. BTA is the naughty one that I got rid off.

On a side note, why is your fish gonna die?

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime ritteri is really easy to take care of as long as you can treat its usual initial sickness. I got a couple and one of them is in a tank full of coral, isolated on a pillar, they have a habit of never walking down hill in my experience. Also my nem tank has like 5 ritteri along with a LTA, gigantea, and meretii, all of them are literally touching and all fine. BTA is the naughty one that I got rid off.

On a side note, why is your fish gonna die?
When I was doing my research a while ago I did see that and got a little exited.
How does one go about treating the sickness?

The fish are probobly going to die due to the 2 or more diseases that the new tang j added has decided to introduce.
The saildfin is covered in ich and possibly black ich.
I just had a goby die today.
I'm hoping the fish will make ot but after the goby dieing I've become alot less optimistic.

Attachments

• 20231116_080517.jpg
    20231116_080517.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 38

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was doing my research a while ago I did see that and got a little exited.
How does one go about treating the sickness?

The fish are probobly going to die due to the 2 or more diseases that the new tang j added has decided to introduce.
The saildfin is covered in ich and possibly black ich.
I just had a goby die today.
I'm hoping the fish will make ot but after the goby dieing I've become alot less optimistic.
Look up antibiotic treatment of anemones, super effective, ever since I started doing that havent lost a single nem.

Also yeah the tang looks pretty bad i think, I would suggest u try to deal with the issue first, nem comes with their very own issues too. Dealing with too many will make u want to give up.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clowns don’t host the LTA? LTA are usually the easiest to get hosted. What kind of clowns? Are they captive bred?

The treatment thread in question: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

Pacific east aquaculture sells them at a high cost but they are pre treated. If/when you treat them yourself, don’t skip the powerhead and heater but make sure they’re behind egg crate or some other divider to protect the nem from shake & bake if it detaches. I add amino acids after each water change along with the fresh antibiotics to help absorption of the abx and make the nem less dependent on its zooxanthellae.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up antibiotic treatment of anemones, super effective, ever since I started doing that havent lost a single nem.

Also yeah the tang looks pretty bad i think, I would suggest u try to deal with the issue first, nem comes with their very own issues too. Dealing with too many will make u want to give up.
Sadly I don't have the room to have such a big hospital tank.
I'd haft to have a 40 or 50 gallon hospital tank to treat all the fish.
And that's if I tired to separate them from trying to kill eachother.

Your clowns don’t host the LTA? LTA are usually the easiest to get hosted. What kind of clowns? Are they captive bred?

The treatment thread in question: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/protocol-for-using-antibiotics-to-treat-infected-anemones.758495/

Pacific east aquaculture sells them at a high cost but they are pre treated. If/when you treat them yourself, don’t skip the powerhead and heater but make sure they’re behind egg crate or some other divider to protect the nem from shake & bake if it detaches. I add amino acids after each water change along with the fresh antibiotics to help absorption of the abx and make the nem less dependent on its zooxanthellae.
If I can buy it pre-treated I will.
Depending on how much extra it is it might be worth it.
First I'm going to try to minimalist the ich.
Buy thank you.

Wow thoes are expensive.
Are all pre treated or is that some option?

Last edited:

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else who pretreatment them and isn't so expensive?
I got mine from many different sources, the issue is that when they get stress they get infected. So usually out of the 9 I have handled so far only 1 didnt require treatment after I got him. One actually had it really bad and relapse around 3 months in after the first treatment. I had to treat again with a totally different antibiotic.

The only way to guarantee not having to treat i think is probably local pickup? Also Im not sure about where you are but where I am, you'll be hard press to find one under 250 bucks.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from many different sources, the issue is that when they get stress they get infected. So usually out of the 9 I have handled so far only 1 didnt require treatment after I got him. One actually had it really bad and relapse around 3 months in after the first treatment. I had to treat again with a totally different antibiotic.

The only way to guarantee not having to treat i think is probably local pickup? Also Im not sure about where you are but where I am, you'll be hard press to find one under 250 bucks.
Closest lfs to me is in corpus Christi.
There's only 2. I can talk to one about having one shipped in.
In assuming you mean a pre-treated one under 250?
I have found some that aren't pre treated around 180-200.
I can treat one. I just would rather have someone more experienced do it.
I haven't ever played around with meds for anything exept when I dip my coral.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a green carpet here at my lfs. Along with my dream lta. I can get the 2 for a discount.
Do I haft to treat it?
It has been here a week and was put the size of a hand erlier.
Or will it be fine for now?

Last edited:

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody else who pretreatment them and isn't so expensive?
The issue here is that they do not ship well. The pedal disc (and underside of the oral disc) of H. Magnifica is colonized by V. Vulnificus. While the species produces anti-fouling agents from its exterior against the pathogen, the stress of travel and expusion of mesenterial filaments often causes them to autoinnoculate.

So, even if a vendor is advertising the nem as "pre-treated", by the time it is shipped to you, it will likely arrive sick.

If you cannot find a local specimen, prepare for its arrival by setting up a small hospital tank. The gold standard for treatment is a 7 day course of Cipro at 50mg per gallon, with a 100% daily water change. If you cannot get your hands on Cipro, you can use a combination of Doxycyxline and Neomycin (API Fin & body cure and Neoplex, respectively).

Once acclimated, they really aren't much more difficult to keep than LTAs.

As an addendum, having just survived and recoved from a Vibrio wound infection, ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES.

Best of luck.

20231027_141154.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue here is that they do not ship well. The pedal disc (and underside of the oral disc) of H. Magnifica is colonized by V. Vulnificus. While the species produces anti-fouling agents from its exterior against the pathogen, the stress of travel and expusion of mesenterial filaments often causes them to autoinnoculate.

So, even if a vendor is advertising the nem as "pre-treated", when they ship it to you, they often arrive sick.

If you cannot find a local specimen, prepare for its arrival by setting up a small hospital tank. The gold standard for treatment is a 7 day course of Cipro at 50mg per gallon with a 100% daily water change. If you cannot get your hands on Cipro, you can use a combination of Doxycyxline and Neomycin (API Fin & body cure and Neoplex, respectively).

Best of luck.
Thank you,

So, even if a vendor is advertising the nem as "pre-treated", by the time it is shipped to you, it will likely arrive sick.

If you cannot find a local specimen, prepare for its arrival by setting up a small hospital tank. The gold standard for treatment is a 7 day course of Cipro at 50mg per gallon, with a 100% daily water change. If you cannot get your hands on Cipro, you can use a combination of Doxycyxline and Neomycin (API Fin & body cure and Neoplex, respectively).

As an addendum, having just survived and recoved from a Vibrio wound infection, ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES.

Best of luck.

20231027_141154.jpg
What does the anti-fouling stuff do?
Also what do you mean by autoinnoculate?
Thoes are a bit too big of words for me.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you,

What does the anti-fouling stuff do?
Also what do you mean by autoinnoculate?
Thoes are a bit too big of words for me.
You're welcome. The antifouling compounds prevent external infection. They are actually being researched by biotech companies as novel antibiotic treatments. "Autoinnoculation" means to self infect.

Happy reefing!

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I don't have the room to have such a big hospital tank.
I'd haft to have a 40 or 50 gallon hospital tank to treat all the fish.
And that's if I tired to separate them from trying to kill eachother.

If I can buy it pre-treated I will.
Depending on how much extra it is it might be worth it.
First I'm going to try to minimalist the ich.
Buy thank you.

Wow thoes are expensive.
Are all pre treated or is that some option?
I would ask him directly to make sure, but I assume they are all treated since they get sick from import anyway.

Good luck :)

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask him directly to make sure, but I assume they are all treated since they get sick from import anyway.

Good luck :)
Alright.
I just bought 2 anenomes lol.
We were right by the lfs so we decided to swing by. And I saw my dream anenome (Sierra Marr lta.)
Along with a green carpet anenome.
I got them at a discount so I figured why not. Ich is only for fish.
They had a baby purple tang. I wish I could have gotten it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%

Back