OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still anchoring but the 2 new additions.
I think I'm going to wait until after chrismas to get a magnifica.
Hopefully by then I can have the fish stuff figured out.
Thank you all!

Attachments

• 20231117_202150.jpg
    20231117_202150.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20231117_202143.jpg
    20231117_202143.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231117_202132.jpg
    20231117_202132.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 38

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue here is that they do not ship well. The pedal disc (and underside of the oral disc) of H. Magnifica is colonized by V. Vulnificus. While the species produces anti-fouling agents from its exterior against the pathogen, the stress of travel and expusion of mesenterial filaments often causes them to autoinnoculate.

So, even if a vendor is advertising the nem as "pre-treated", by the time it is shipped to you, it will likely arrive sick.

If you cannot find a local specimen, prepare for its arrival by setting up a small hospital tank. The gold standard for treatment is a 7 day course of Cipro at 50mg per gallon, with a 100% daily water change. If you cannot get your hands on Cipro, you can use a combination of Doxycyxline and Neomycin (API Fin & body cure and Neoplex, respectively).

Once acclimated, they really aren't much more difficult to keep than LTAs.

As an addendum, having just survived and recoved from a Vibrio wound infection, ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES.

Best of luck.

20231027_141154.jpg
Hey!

im actually really interested in how the whole infection thing takes place. Can you answer a couple of question for me?

So you are saying that the main reason that ritteri get infected easily is because the V. Vulnificus is an opportunistic pathogen?
Also the stuff with the pedal disk, the mesenterial filaments appearance at the foot is not because of necrosis or anything like that but actually done by the anemone when its stressed out? Does that mean that anemones with mesenterial filament on its pedal disk does not actually mean that its dying from necrosis?
Also since V. Vulnificus lives on the outside/pedal disk, do you think peroxide dip could maybe prevent an infection from taking place?

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all!
Wow your LTA is beautiful :p I want it

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey!

im actually really interested in how the whole infection thing takes place. Can you answer a couple of question for me?

So you are saying that the main reason that ritteri get infected easily is because the V. Vulnificus is an opportunistic pathogen?
Also the stuff with the pedal disk, the mesenterial filaments appearance at the foot is not because of necrosis or anything like that but actually done by the anemone when its stressed out? Does that mean that anemones with mesenterial filament on its pedal disk does not actually mean that its dying from necrosis?
Also since V. Vulnificus lives on the outside/pedal disk, do you think peroxide dip could maybe prevent an infection from taking place?
Yes. V. Vulnificus, like most pathogens in our tanks, is opportunistic. No, if you see filaments coming from it's pedal disc, there are serious problems. Its mesenteries are located inside of it. Its guts, if you will. Primary, secondary, tertiary... anyways, when they get stressed, they will leave their mouths open and expel their insides (from their mouths, not their feet) exposing the filaments. This is what provides the opportunity for infection.

Do not dip it in peroxide! H202 is a powerful oxidizer and will damage / destroy tissue. Iodine dips are fine, but would not be sufficient to stave off infection.

The thing to remember is Vibrio is ubiquitous, and present in nearly every aquarium (I'm working on an article about this now). So, you can "pre-treat" it in a hospital tank, but the minute it it returned to a display or holding tank, it will be recolonized. Ship it again, and the cycle of infection can continue.

This is a photo of an H. Magnifica specimen with its guts expelled due to shipping stress:

Screenshot_20231117_223958_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ho
Yes. V. Vulnificus, like most pathogens in our tanks, is opportunistic. No, if you see filaments coming from it's pedal disc, there are serious problems. Its mesenteries are located inside of it. Its guts, if you will. Primary, secondary, tertiary... anyways, when they get stressed, they will leave their mouths open and expel their insides (from their mouths, not their feet) exposing the filaments. This is what provides the opportunity for infection.

Do not dip it in peroxide! H202 is a powerful oxidizer and will damage / destroy tissue. Iodine dips are fine, but would not be sufficient to stave off infection.

The thing to remember is Vibrio is ubiquitous, and present in nearly every aquarium (I'm working on an article about this now). So, you can "pre-treat" it in a hospital tank, but the minute it it returned to a display or holding tank, it will be recolonized. Ship it again, and the cycle of infection can continue.

This is a photo of an H. Magnifica specimen with its guts expelled due to shipping stress:

Holy carp.
That is wow.
Do they just suck it back in?
If I get one would it arrive like that?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ho

Holy carp.
That is wow.
Do they just suck it back in?
If I get one would it arrive like that?
If they recover, yes. Would yours arrive like that? Likely.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all!
I just checked, and it would appear that your tank is 80 gallons. Not only is that way too small for the Sailfin you have in there, but that is too small for a Magnifica, as well. These can grow to 36" in diameter. Also, the presence of the other nems can be an issue. The magnifica WILL rampage around your tank until it finds a place that it is happy, stinging everything in its wake. Even once settled in, it is likely to roam again, or turn into a "balloon" and bounce around the tank.

Here's a link to a great piece by Bob Fenner. Give it a read to understand the needs of this animal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just checked, and it would appear that your tank is 80 gallons. That is too small for a Magnifica. These can grow to 36" in diameter. Also, the presence of the other nems can be an issue. The magnifica WILL rampage around your tank until it finds a place that it is happy, stinging everything in its wake. Even once settled in, it is likely to roam again, or turn into a "balloon" and bounce around the tank.

Here's a link to a great piece by Bob Fenner. Give it a read to understand the needs of this animal.

Oh I upgraded about a month ago.
That tank was 80gal total and about 70gal for display.
It leaked too many times so I was finally able to get a new tank.
I'm now at a full 90gal w/sump.

Also a good all my current nems are all sand dwelling.
The tank is also still in the state from when I upgraded that all the corals I care about are still movable frags.
I also have a pretty good idea of there I think it will want to go. Which both are good points without any coral nearby.

But I will definately Give that a read.

If you look at the full image you can see the old tank off to the left.
17001972648741862127497656526902.jpg

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh I upgraded about a month ago.
That tank was 80gal total and about 70gal for display.
It leaked too many times so I was finally able to get a new tank.
I'm now at a full 90gal w/sump.

Also a good all my current nems are all sand dwelling.
The tank is also still in the state from when I upgraded that all the corals I care about are still movable frags.
I also have a pretty good idea of there I think it will want to go. Which both are good points without any coral nearby.

But I will definately Give that a read.

If you look at the full image you can see the old tank off to the left.
17001972648741862127497656526902.jpg
You think you'd know where it wants to go, but it will do what it wants. Believe me, it will surprise you. Congrats on the upgrade, but 90 gallons is still too small for this species.

Now, not to flash my Tang Police badge but, IMO, that fish shouldn't be in anything less than an 8' tank. It is likely why it got stressed and sick.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think you'd know where it wants to go, but it will do what it wants. Believe me, it will surprise you. Congrats on the upgrade, but 90 gallons is still too small for this species.

Now, not to flash my Tang Police badge but, IMO, that fish shouldn't be in anything less than an 8' tank. It is likely why it got stressed and sick.
Double post bad wifi((

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I might wait till this summer when we move and get a massive built-in.
Part of the reason we waited so long to upgrade my tank.
Also why I'm not as concerned about the fish outgrowing the tank.
The tomie tang was supposed to be the last fish or my fish max for this tank.

I also know my tank definately isn't that bad compared to what I've seen. One of our lfs has 5 or 6 diffrent tangs in a 125 along with a bunch of other fish.
Also with alot less hiding spots than my tank.
When I re-scaped it I made the extra hiding on purpose.

I think sickness wasn't due to nesscasaraly the stress but more of the lack of qt.
The aggression has been going down a ton.
I don't really see much of another reason why they would be all that stressed.

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In your experience then has any anemone ever recovered ones the mesenteries filament starts showing up on the foot? Its just I recently got a really nice H. aurora, he is clearly sick but not responding to antibiotic treatment, and its been close to 6 days already, his foot seems to ahve a couple of spots where the mesenteries filament are coming through but, he does pull it back in sometime. What would you recommend in this case?

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In your experience then has any anemone ever recovered ones the mesenteries filament starts showing up on the foot? Its just I recently got a really nice H. aurora, he is clearly sick but not responding to antibiotic treatment, and its been close to 6 days already, his foot seems to ahve a couple of spots where the mesenteries filament are coming through but, he does pull it back in sometime. What would you recommend in this case?
Can you post pics under whites?

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish Styx I didn’t know we had identified the troublemaker pathogen as vibrio. That is incredibly helpful info, thank you! Is this the same infection process that impacts stichodactyla gigantea during travel?

@randomfishdude Haddoni are also very well known for their wanderlust. If it’s not already attached, I would give it a sandbox that is taller than your surrounding sandbed and isolated from your rockwork. cover the bottom with settled/stable rock rubble and top off with sand. Drop that in your highest light location (or nearby if it seems bleached) and it should (*SHOULD*) do laps around the box rather than around your tank.

Also keep wave makers and power heads off or behind egg crate while your nems get settled. lovely LTA!

Last edited:
OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish Styx I didn’t know we had identified the troublemaker pathogen as vibrio. That is incredibly helpful info, thank you!

@randomfishdude Haddoni are also very well known for their wanderlust. If it’s not already attached, I would give it a sandbox that is taller than your surrounding sandbed and isolated from your rockwork. cover the bottom with settled/stable rock rubble and top off with sand. Drop that in your highest light location (or nearby if it seems bleached) and it should (*SHOULD*) do laps around the box rather than around your tank.

Also keep wave makers and power heads off or behind egg crate while your nems get settled. lovely LTA!
Both anenomes have immediately attached.
Nether are moving right now. It's night for my tank.
The anenome guards that came with Mt powerheads don't fully protect the anenome. So for now and while I am gone I have some filter material around the suck in part of the powerhead so tenticles can't get in.

Night shots:

Attachments

• 20231118_001023.jpg
    20231118_001023.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20231118_001013.jpg
    20231118_001013.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20231118_001006.jpg
    20231118_001006.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 28

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Fish Styx I didn’t know we had identified the troublemaker pathogen as vibrio. That is incredibly helpful info, thank you! Is this the same infection process that impacts stichodactyla gigantea during travel?

I'm not sure about the Stichodactyla sp. While my knowledge is broad, I am by no means an anemone expert. I just happen to know a good bit about H. Magnifica and unfortunately, V. Vulnificus.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thoes are expensive.
Are all pre treated or is that some option?
one more time : they do NOT pre treat ..that being said most are super healthy due to the conditions they are kept in @ PEA,, strong natural sunlight , good flow , and fed regularly... I would observe anything you buy from there for 10 days in a separate tank which is prepared as a treatment tank if need be ..if NO inflate/deflate observed -proceed with caution.. I personally treat 99.9% of what i buy from there ,and I have the luxury of seeing them all in person before I buy...FWIW.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one more time : they do NOT pre treat ..that being said most are super healthy due to the conditions they are kept in @ PEA,, strong natural sunlight , good flow , and fed regularly... I would observe anything you buy from there for 10 days in a separate tank which is prepared as a treatment tank if need be ..if NO inflate/deflate observed -proceed with caution.. I personally treat 99.9% of what i buy from there ,and I have the luxury of seeing them all in person before I buy...FWIW.
Alright.
I do see why they don't come treated. Even if they were it wouldn't really matter since they're getting shipped.

Also morning anenome pics

Attachments

• 20231118_071223.jpg
    20231118_071223.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231118_071226.jpg
    20231118_071226.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back