Consistently high phosphates and nitrates

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Tank is 5 months old, so fairly new. Its a water box 70.2

During the early stages after cycling my po4 level was around 0.03 and nitrates between 5 and 10.

Then fish and corals were added to the tank over a few months.
1 x blue tang
2 x clownfish
4 x chromis

I would say my bio load increased with this however over the past 4 - 6 weeks my po4 levels have constantly been 0.060 - 0.165 which tonight its the highest. I have stopped feeding reef roids as this would shoot levels up. Only feeding pellets which 95% are consumed by the fish 2 x per day.

My Nitrates level are around 10-20 mark depending on the light angle.

Now I currently use Natural sea water and the phosphate levels are already at 0.060 and Nitrates at 5 so doing water changes doesnt have a huge impact on reducing my levels.

Went to LFS who told me to use Rowa phos and put it in the sock it came with. Have placed this in the baffle section just before the return pump.

It has now been in for 3 days and of anything my phosphates have increased. I'm definately not over feeding. My skimmer runs 24/7.

I wish to reduce only because there are a couple of corals goniopora and my monti looking very sad. Other corals looking great.

What options do I have to reduce both my PO4 and nitrates? Trying to avoid a reactor due to very limited space in the standard sumps.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and even with those levels I have very little algae issues. Have a little that I can see when I clean the glass but not much else. Have 4 trouchs snails and a handful of glass shrimp.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and even with those levels I have very little algae issues. Have a little that I can see when I clean the glass but not much else. Have 4 trouchs snails and a handful of glass shrimp.

GFO in a bag in a high flow area will definitely work for phosphates. Also switching to frozen food will also help reduce the import.

That said, I dont think your levels are very high at all. If your gonis are not looking good you might want to look at other parameters as well.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO in a bag in a high flow area will definitely work for phosphates. Also switching to frozen food will also help reduce the import.

That said, I dont think your levels are very high at all. If your gonis are not looking good you might want to look at other parameters as well.
GFO in a bag??

Feeding thera +a with garlic.been told it will have minimal impact on my phosphate levels. You think 0.16 isnt high? Not chasing numbers but I do want to put is some more sps corals ect but think its to high for them.

Alk 8.3
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1300
Cal 430

Don't know what else it could be. Also ATO is using RODI water 0 TDS.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO in a bag??

Feeding thera +a with garlic.been told it will have minimal impact on my phosphate levels. You think 0.16 isnt high? Not chasing numbers but I do want to put is some more sps corals ect but think its to high for them.

Alk 8.3
Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.026
Mag 1300
Cal 430

Don't know what else it could be. Also ATO is using RODI water 0 TDS.

0.16 is fine if you dont have algae issues. GFO in a sock will work for phosphates- just that at this point when you try and lower phosphates more will leech from your substrates so you may not see the reduction very soon. Keep testing and at some point you will see the levels reduce.
You can also try carbon dosing.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s any consolation, my tank is coming to it’s 5th month, been battling my PO4 of 0.35ppm and NO3 of 12ppm for a month with Carbon dosing and LaCl. Finally brought it down to below to 0.07ppm PO4 but NO3 remains firm at 12ppm. Plenty of fishes, I must say, no algae in tank, primary due to my ATS. Feeding 3x a day with TDO Chroma Boost pellets and reef roids. Within a day, my PO4 shot up to 0.20ppm. Well... at least my fishes are happy, lost a hammer, other than that my LPS are ok. But plans for SPS gotta be postponed for a while.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thats it, have everything else maintaining good stability but my phosphates are all over the shop. Have noticed tonight that my zoas are doing well and have grown. 4 weeks today. 20210420_200319.jpg IMG_20210314_200030.jpg

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested your natural sea water? Where do you get it from? Check before your next water change.
Yes every time I grab 150L its always around 0.061 -0.068 collection is on high tide

Throw some macro algae in the tank and let it eat
Just throw it into the sump? Where?

Gogoggansgo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes every time I grab 150L its always around 0.061 -0.068 collection is on high tide

Just throw it into the sump? Where?
I run it in my display it’s a Wild look but it’s keep my levels at 0

Attachments

• 555EDD97-49AF-4571-BB7F-1DB1FD7E6D4F.jpeg
    555EDD97-49AF-4571-BB7F-1DB1FD7E6D4F.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 986CEDE7-3EC3-4D5B-9B15-99ABE4444480.jpeg
    986CEDE7-3EC3-4D5B-9B15-99ABE4444480.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 63

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of the name, this alga loves phosphate!! Blue Olgo??
133A4FDC-0325-44B4-A86E-AC7EDA31E639.png

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to check out the LFS tomorrow see what they can come up with, I just think all the corals will be brighter and better with lower nitrates and phosphates. But I could be wrong too.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of getting caught up in chasing numbers and focus more on results. I know you said your gonis and montis aren't doing well, but gonis for one are known for being difficult. Light and flow could also play a factor.

I consistently measure PO4/NO3 in the .5/50 range and my montis are thriving. I've seen the use of GFO and other methods of trying to achieve low PO4 levels cause as many problems as they solve.

You can see my monti's growth here.

IMG_20210420_091800627.jpg
IMG_20210420_091807483.jpg

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beware of getting caught up in chasing numbers and focus more on results. I know you said your gonis and montis aren't doing well, but gonis for one are known for being difficult. Light and flow could also play a factor.

I consistently measure PO4/NO3 in the .5/50 range and my montis are thriving. I've seen the use of GFO and other methods of trying to achieve low PO4 levels cause as many problems as they solve.
Yeah fully understand, not so much chasing a particular number but more to lower them. Again it could also backfire on me too.

Yes gonis can be temperamental and some go well some dont. My moni frag has grown but definitely lost alot of color. Was a nice red now a very deep red/purple in color.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural sea water can make nutrient level bonky because you are adding in microbiology that will binge on your tank's artificially high phosphate levels.

If you aren't seeing algae issues I wouldn't worry about nitrate. Zoas will love those high nitrate levels.

Elevated phosphate can be a bit more of a time bomb.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Natural sea water can make nutrient level bonky because you are adding in microbiology that will binge on your tank's artificially high phosphate levels.

If you aren't seeing algae issues I wouldn't worry about nitrate. Zoas will love those high nitrate levels.

Elevated phosphate can be a bit more of a time bomb.
Yeah not overly worried about my Nitrates as they do drop to 10 or just under when a 20% wc is done. Just would like my phosphates lower than where they are.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a two little fishs reactor hangs on the outside of your sump start out with half the recommended bio pellets and let it run for a month they should drop . Want it to drop more put more pellets in. Plus the bacteria it gives of feeds your corals.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Tank is 5 months old, so fairly new. Its a water box 70.2

During the early stages after cycling my po4 level was around 0.03 and nitrates between 5 and 10.

Then fish and corals were added to the tank over a few months.
1 x blue tang
2 x clownfish
4 x chromis

I would say my bio load increased with this however over the past 4 - 6 weeks my po4 levels have constantly been 0.060 - 0.165 which tonight its the highest. I have stopped feeding reef roids as this would shoot levels up. Only feeding pellets which 95% are consumed by the fish 2 x per day.

My Nitrates level are around 10-20 mark depending on the light angle.

Now I currently use Natural sea water and the phosphate levels are already at 0.060 and Nitrates at 5 so doing water changes doesnt have a huge impact on reducing my levels.

Went to LFS who told me to use Rowa phos and put it in the sock it came with. Have placed this in the baffle section just before the return pump.

It has now been in for 3 days and of anything my phosphates have increased. I'm definately not over feeding. My skimmer runs 24/7.

I wish to reduce only because there are a couple of corals goniopora and my monti looking very sad. Other corals looking great.

What options do I have to reduce both my PO4 and nitrates? Trying to avoid a reactor due to very limited space in the standard sumps.
You don’t have a water quality problem to fix. Look for other reasons for your animals looking ill.

OP
OP
ReefRusty

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have a water quality problem to fix. Look for other reasons for your animals looking ill.
Most levels have dropped nitrates are at around 10 now and po4 was 0.044 before I fed reef roids tonight. I think it was my lighting my PAR was very low as I managed to test this. So hope this will help as I've now increased it and acclimatise it over next 18 days to avoid shock

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back