Consistently low Nitrates & Phosphates

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my phosphates and nitrates are being incredibly stubborn and will not increase. Some info:

1. Tank is about 7 months old.
2. Nitrates have never read higher than 1ppm.
3. Phosphates will go up but it takes significant overfeeding...
4. I think overfeeding is starting to lead to a small patch of cyano forming on my sandbed
5. Current notable residents:
a. Juvenile yellow wrasse
b. Small lawnmower blenny
c. Adult firefish
d. Two juvenile banggai cardinals
e. Couple of cleaner shrimp, typical hermits, snails etc.
f. Lots of bivalves, worms, barnacles, sponges, tunicates etc. on some TB live rock, but mostly started with dry marco rock
g. 1 small SPS and a couple of small LPS (from the live rock)
6. Filtration = skimmer, <1 cup of skimmate per week. No other filtration.
7. I'm using Hanna colorimeters to test for these items

I have completely stopped adding anything to the tank except for live phyto, frozen food and occasional pellets or bits of nori. I feed so much nothing in the tank gets particularly excited when I go to feed. lol

Anyway, nitrates won't move higher than 0.5 ppm, and phosphates barely go up. Attached is a snip from my reef log for the last couple of months for reference. It took very heavy feeding to maintain the phosphate levels. Note that I rarely test for nitrates because it basically never changes. Also, the alk is gradually dropping because I stopped dosing anything to maintain the level so I could better manage nutrients.

So, my questions are:
Should I start dosing nitrates and possibly phosphates? If yes, what is the most cost-effective way to do so?
Would adding more livestock help?

Everything in the tank is healthy, I'm just ready to be past the last of the uglies and start adding more corals and clams but I don't wanna do that until I solve the nutrient issue.

Side question: Is there any testing equipment that would be more precise and accurate than the Hanna colorimeters, without getting into research level lab equipment?

Thanks! :)

log.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly common in new tanks. Mine did the same. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers.
Thanks for the response!

I kinda thought I still needed to give it some time to balance out. It's still a young tank after all. Do you know what is consuming the phosphates and especially the nitrates? Is it being absorbed by the rock and sand still do you think?

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see actual phosphate measurements... pic of tank?
The log is in the first post as an attachment. I hope... lol

But yeah here's a pic of the tank. Lights are ramping down for the evening so it's dark and I got as much of the blue out as I could. Yeah I know the glass is dirty :p

PXL_20231220_003514831.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding more or dosing (ammonium chloride or ammonium bicarbonate or sodium nitrate or calcium nitrate; sodium phosphate; all food grade) are both straightforward options to raise nitrate and phosphate. :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything looks good, I would be hesitant to chase any "ideal" level. Starving coral and dino's are the main concerns with nitrate/phosphate bottoming out.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya to avoid issues I would aim for anywhere between 5-10 no3 and .05-.1 po4.
Many of us run higher too.

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything looks good, I would be hesitant to chase any "ideal" level. Starving coral and dino's are the main concerns with nitrate/phosphate bottoming out.
Yep that's the primary goal here! Just trying to get the nutrients up a bit to deal with dinos

OP
OP
C

CloudReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding more or dosing (ammonium chloride or ammonium bicarbonate or sodium nitrate or calcium nitrate; sodium phosphate; all food grade) are both straightforward options to raise nitrate and phosphate. :)
Thanks! I used calcium nitrate in my hydroponic days and was wondering if it would work in my tank. I have in fact already ordered CalNit and Trisodium phosphate from loudwolf as that seems to be a reputable supplier and they state the products are food and reagent (ACS) grade.

Is there a calculator or mixing guide for these chemicals?

Thank you!!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I used calcium nitrate in my hydroponic days and was wondering if it would work in my tank. I have in fact already ordered CalNit and Trisodium phosphate from loudwolf as that seems to be a reputable supplier and they state the products are food and reagent (ACS) grade.

Is there a calculator or mixing guide for these chemicals?

Thank you!!

Use this calculator and the entry for phosphate from potassium phosphate and nitrate from potassium nitrate. It is good enough for a starting dose and then you will adjust as needed anyway:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back