Continuously experiencing a cloudy tank need help!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, from the pic and description, I would find ways to turn up the flow and agitate the water surface.

For me, its a red flag to see no rock in the tank. The rocks provide the main surface area for nitrifying bateria, this basically means the more rock you have the stronger your biofilter will be, and I see you have very little rock. The rocks also provide hiding space for all the little micro-organisms that make up a reef ecosystem.

csturgis1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copy, I'll increase water changes. Regarding light what's a look time window to keep them active? Also, I have been feeding them Mysis shrimp , but recently picked up the flakes that were labeled for marine livestock.
I would start with a 3-5 day blackout and then ramp up slowly after that. The RBTAs are probably not going to be happy but they probably aren’t the happiest right now anyways. I saw the container of the Tetra tropical flake in the picture so I figured I would bring up the food.

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, from the pic and description, I would find ways to turn up the flow and agitate the water surface.

For me, its a red flag to see no rock in the tank. The rocks provide the main surface area for nitrifying bateria, this basically means the more rock you have the stronger your biofilter will be, and I see you have very little rock. The rocks also provide hiding space for all the little micro-organisms that make up a reef ecosystem.
my tank has 50lbs of live rock! Did you see the picture?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Trying to figure out why my even after large water changes my tank is continuously getting cloudy. Some of my Tank information and configuration.

Tank:
- 50G Waterbox AIO
- Media filtration one chamber running (filter floss, carbon, live rock)
- Syncra Silent 2.0 Pump - 568 GPH

Live Stock:
- 3 clown fish,
- yellow watchman goby & tiger pistol shrimp,
- a variation of about 15 snails and dwarf redtip hermit crabs.
- 2 bubble tip anemones

Current Parameter's: Done with the API test kit

- Ammonia: 0
- Nitrite: 0
- Salinity: 0.33ppt
- PH: test is showing between 8.0 -8.2 (closer to 8.2)
- Nitrate: 0

I recently completed a 10 % water change and nothing really changed just a slight clear up followed by cloudy water within 24 hours. I am thinking to do another larger water change around 30-50% but I have done that in the past and the cloudy water still came back. I found when replacing the filter floss I see a very slight clear up but I think I am just changing the floss prematurely in pursuit of clearer water.

12345.jpg
AIO is a challenge at times due to limited space for filter accommodations. Ice Cap K1-50 fits in AIO units quite well and I see this as a bacterial bloom. When a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies generates and becomes suspended in the water column, it grows so quickly that it becomes more visible causing the water to become milky and hazy in appearance due to an increase in the nutrients in the water especially nitrates and phosphates.
Adding a hang-on power filter, even a cheap one from walmart will entrap the micron elements and help clarify tank.

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO is a challenge at times due to limited space for filter accommodations. Ice Cap K1-50 fits in AIO units quite well and I see this as a bacterial bloom. When a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies generates and becomes suspended in the water column, it grows so quickly that it becomes more visible causing the water to become milky and hazy in appearance due to an increase in the nutrients in the water especially nitrates and phosphates.
Adding a hang-on power filter, even a cheap one from walmart will entrap the micron elements and help clarify tank.
Thank you! I will take a look at grabbing one!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you said your nitrates are at 0. In my experience that can lead to diatom growth as the good critters don't have enough nutrition to grow.

OP
OP
Imthatguybrandon

Imthatguybrandon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a 3-5 day blackout and then ramp up slowly after that. The RBTAs are probably not going to be happy but they probably aren’t the happiest right now anyways. I saw the container of the Tetra tropical flake in the picture so I figured I would bring up the food.
Awesome, I can start my blackout period tonight after they go dark for the day/ Question regarding my live stock will my fish be okay in a 3 day black out?

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some really good sock filters on the tank. It will have that water crystal clear in no time. I actually sell them. My water is crystal

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpeg
    IMG_2415.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 22

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I can start my blackout period tonight after they go dark for the day/ Question regarding my live stock will my fish be okay in a 3 day black out?
My opinion is this is a bandaid and your situation will quickly return unless you address the root cause effect. Poor filtration and water flow movement combined with bottomed out parameters and probably to much light.

Do you have corals? I would just cut lights to 6 hours with blue and uv only no white then fix the other issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back